What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Potential problem with cowl hinge half lengths?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
After cutting one FF-01408B-L I realized that there is a discrepancy with the lengths of the already installed FF-0006B-L. On page 45-04 , figure 3 the FF-00006B-L is shown with 16 eyelets , but on page 29-08 , figure 1 the FF-00006B-L is shown with 17 eyelets making the FF-01408B-L an inch short in my view. I have sent this observation to Van's and will post their reply when I get it. For now I will hold off cutting the second 1/8" hinge.

There was a 1 inch error in the hinge that is attached to the firewall flange.
To resolve it, remove the upper most loop from the hinge attached to the firewall.
When it is configured correctly, the top of the upper most hinge loop should be about 4 3/16" below the fwd upper corner of the fwd side skin.

Maybe a moderator could move this up to the stickied gotchas thread?

Thanks Scott, just finish reading Sterling's reply with the same information. Was planning on posting his reply here but no need to now.

The length specified for the FF-01408B-L & R should be correct.
The overall length for the FF-0006B-L & R also was correct, but it should have had one additional eyelet removed from the upper end.

Back