What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Rivet mistake

Blakegambsky

I'm New Here
So dumb me was working on riveting the elevator ribs to the skin on my RV-10 the past few days. And lucky me misread the rivet callout to use AN326AD3-3 and i used 3-3.5. I can't talk to build support right now because they are at EAA. Does anyone have any advice if thats going to majorly affect the structural strength of the elevator?

Thanks in advance.

Blake

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a too long rivet if it didn't "lay over".
If it drove properly, it's fine.

Big???

If that is a big mistake, not sure what you would call some of my mistakes.

As Mel said ... Build On. no question about that.

Welcome to VAF!

Blake----------welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Whatever Mel says------------

Thank you

Thank you guys for the insight. I'm still going to talk to builders support to ensure it's okay. The last thing I need is for elevator skins to rip off the airplane on it's maiden voyage.

Thanks for your welcome as well!

Blake

Thank you guys for the insight. I'm still going to talk to builders support to ensure it's okay. The last thing I need is for elevator skins to rip off the airplane on it's maiden voyage.

Thanks for your welcome as well!

Blake

With all that extra weight and now rear cg limit concerns I doubt it will even get off the ground. This will be the first 10 taildragger! :D

Seriously...Nothing wrong with a 1/32 to long of a rivet if it was driven properly as Mel stated. If this is a big mistake...you're going to give yourself a heart attack when you misdrill, dimple extra holes, smiles. Your fine. Build on.

So dumb me was working on riveting the elevator ribs to the skin on my RV-10 the past few days. And lucky me misread the rivet callout to use AN326AD3-3 and i used 3-3.5. I can't talk to build support right now because they are at EAA. Does anyone have any advice if thats going to majorly affect the structural strength of the elevator?

Thanks in advance.

Blake
Just to re state what Mel said. If they drove properly your good. If any of the tails rolled over drill those out and put in the proper size. Ok to call Vans but they will tell you the same thing. We have all done this at least once.

Pat

+1, no issue with strength. And I am an Aero Engineer who has done numerous courses in design of riveted structures. What is critical with rivets is the cross section of the rivet, its distance from the edge of the part and it being long enough. Too long is fine except that it is harder to buck it without it falling over. Thestrength comes from the its diameter and the thickness of the end that you buck. If those meet the minimums and the holes are well dimpled our countersunk (if applicable) and deburred you are good to go.

By the end of this you will have made way worse mistakes than this :p

I sure have:p

There were many times in the build of my 7A where I thought the rivet call-out on the plans looked too short and went ahead and bumped it up to the next length.

As Mel said, if it doesn't bend or break when setting, then it is just fine. If you back riveted those, then they likely did neither and you're good to go.

Big Rivet ??

"And lucky me misread the rivet callout to use AN326AD3-3"

"AN326"

What do that rivet look like? :-O

The extra length won't hurt a thang! Build on...

Minor issue, dont make it a major issue.

Not a problem at all but whatever you do DON'T DRILL THEM OUT! or it might become a problem and you will be kicking yourself saying "why didn't I just leave them alone".

Thank you!

That's what I've worried. I waited because I didn't want to elongate the hole in any way. Thank you all for your input and I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes mistakes.

Back