What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator E-905 Rib not aligning

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am on section 9-5 and I having problems getting the E-905 root rib for the elevator to align properly with the skin and the E-1002 spar. I have tried several different configurations, swapping parts and it appears the dimensions are just off. I have the other E-1008s in place and they line up extremely well with the spar and skins. I find this as additional validation that the skins and spar are properly assembled. I stepped away but will go back down in the shop and double check everything again.

I can get one cleco in the spar ( middle cleco) and then bend the 905 to align to the skins but then the E-905 rib is not aligned properly with the remaining holes (top and bottom) of the spar and the skin holes would probably be way off on the top skin.

It is probably something silly because so far everything is so well designed. Help me figure it out please.

I have attached a picture

http://elstien.us/RV-10 Build Log and Information/Picture Albums/Elevator/FullSizeRender.jpg

Additional Pictures of E-509 Alignment

I added some pictures. I also decided to remove the cleco from the spar. I then attached the top skin and all the 1008 ribs align and the 509 attaches nicely as well. But there is a gap between the E-509 flange and the spar. The other problem is that the holes on the flange and spar do not even come close to aligning.
I will be calling VANS at 6:30 EST and asking about this. I hope they are there since this is a busy week for them.

E-509%20alignment%20Ptoblem%20-1.jpg

E-509%20alignment%20Ptoblem%20-2.jpg

E-509%20alignment%20Ptoblem%20-3.jpg

Update from VANs and some measurements

I called VANs and talks to Scott. Poor Scott, he is stuck at the factory and not at OSH. Scott's misfortune is my benefit.

He looked at the pictures and listened to my description. Scott called me back and said he cannot see anything else incorrect and it may be a bad set of parts (E-509 Rib). He will be sending a new set this week. Thanks Scott!

While driving to my bi-weekly basketball fix, I thought about the problem. In that 15 minute drive I figured it out. I do think it is a bad part. When I got back home from playing basketball last night, I took another look at the situation. It appears the bend in the flange that mates to the spar is bent too far toward the web portion of the rib. This would have the affect of shortening the rib and preventing it from mating to the spar AND also place the E-509 flange holes too far inboard of the spar holes.

I measured the gap between the spar web and the rib flange and it was about .080-.090. I then measured the flange height of the other flanges on the E-509 rib and compared it to the height of the flange on the E-509 rib not mating properly. I would "assume" the flange heights would all be designed to be the same, but the mating flange height was about .090 higher. Eureka, this s probably a bad part.

New parts are on the way

E-509%20alignment%20Ptoblem%20with%20Notes%20-4.jpg

I would say this is a bad part for sure.. I didn't have anything like this when I did mine..

Good catch! And good on you for not trying to force it to work.. =)

New E-905 Ribs arrived and are perfect fit!

The new E-905 ribs arrived today and they fit perfectly!

Now on to completing the match drilling.

New%20E-905%20Rib%201.jpg

Back