What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuff Happens - Past and Today

David-aviator

Well Known Member
That broken prop is a reminder that this business is risky. It has been around for 12 years, nearly disposed of a couple times with moves, but something always tells me to keep it. I almost ran it through a band saw recently for disposal but did not.

It happened with a Cozy pusher. An exhaust pipe broke and went through it. The break occurred under a heat muff and evidence of the break pending went undetected because I did not remove the muff for inspection in a timely manner. The muff attached to the pipe at welded flanges, that's where it broke. That system was changed to clamps as a result of the event.

I was never so scared in flight as that day - the vibration was terrific. The Holy Spirit moved my hand to shut down the engine in an instant and all was calm, the airplane did not come apart and was flying like a glider at over 10,000'. A military radar controller vectored me to Auburn. It was a bad day but a good day the way it ended. Took 2 weeks to get a new prop, dial check the engine prop flange, and fly home. A subsequent accessory case inspection by a mechanic revealed no damage to the engine. Lycomings are tough.

I wonder often where the missing blade is today? It happened about 15 miles northeast of Auburn, Alabama, so if anyone down there picked it up from a field, street or back yard and has it stashed away, now you know where it came from.

I lost confidence totally in pusher power that day and am in a RV because of it. :)

2yopbud.jpg

Thanks for that account David. Amazing how pilots often react instantly to make the right move. They don't teach it in flight school, but looking back I think there were times Someone was helping me too. It's usually a little voice that says "better not do this". John

Exhaust lanyard

A person I know bought a Longeze that wasn't flying. I looked at the engine and notice the exhaust "pipes" had a welded clip with a steel cable lanyard attached. The other end of the lanyard was secured to the engine or mount (I don't recall). I asked the guy what the lanyard was for. He told me that in the event of a exhaust pipe flange failure, the lanyard would prevent the pipe for hitting the prop.

... This is one of the perils of the pusher design and have caused many prop destruction incidents and much worse. I have owned and built several ultralight aircraft over the years and consequently been involved with others in clubs Etc. I have seen it all, jackets, hats, sun glasses, thermos bottle, seat cushions, cell phones, hand held radios, air cleaners, exhaust parts and a menagerie of engine parts find their way into pusher propellers. The though intimidated me enough that I switched to tractor type airplanes as well. I like all airplanes, but the pushers do make me nervous. Thanks, Allan..:D

Back