What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Today was a good day!

Top Cat

Well Known Member
Folks, today was a good day flying the RV-12 SLSA and I just wanted to say a big thanks to those here, and the Dynon Tech Support guys, and the folks at Vans who have answered many of my newbie questions and suffered my frustrations and impatience.

Since taking ownership last July it has been a big learning curve and often times confusing and frustrating.
I've found, especially in the last week or so, that there is more information out there to help, I just wasn't aware of it, or didn't know where to look. I spend hours searching this site and reading info online but sometimes that one piece of the puzzle isn't there.
For example, just yesterday Tom and Bill H told me where to look for the recent in-flight compass calibration and how to check the engine type being used in Skyview. Maybe elementary to you folks who've built the plane from the kit but I didn't know for example that the Installation Kit was revised with each firmware update. D'ooh.I'm looking in the paper manual Vans gave me and couldn't see it. As soon as I followed Bill's direction for the "12.2 manual' bingo there it was.
I'm about to get an iPad Air as backup to Skyview with Foreflight Mobile and Synthetic vision…from now on all the manuals, POH, and Rotax info and bulletins etc all be stored there.

Can I just say a big Thank You to all of you who have the time and patience to offer a tip of other help, it's greatly appreciated. I apologize for any perceptions of complaining perceived as whining. It's just frustration at not being able to find the missing piece sometimes, and lack of knowledge. I'm trying to learn as I go and it's certainly paying of.

After a couple of weeks of down time due to a Skyview repair, then getting caught up on some servicing items and dealing with SBs today I was able to go fly the RV-12 with no 'issues' and it was 'awesome'. I really love the airplane, I feel I made a great choice for ME, and I really think the Skyview and the Rotax are great units.

To top it off, I went round the hangar corner at my airfield (KFDW SC) and met Manny…who is building an RV-12!! Who knew?! We spent an hour talking RV-12 and I hope I can provide some help to him in any way I can…even if it's 'just stand there and hold this whilst I …." This is the first RV-12 I've seen in it's building stage and I got a great idea of how much goes into it. Kinda feel a bit guilty for a few seconds that I bought an SLSA (well, only for a few seconds!:D)

Manny has been working on it for 6 years so hopefully I can offer some help in helping him get it finished in any way I can.

It was a good day today and again…thanks to all who've taken the time to help! It's greatly appreciated!:)

Last edited:
Folks, today was a good day flying the RV-12 SLSA and I just wanted to say a big thanks to those here, and the Dynon Tech Support guys, and the folks at Vans who have answered many of my newbie questions and suffered my frustrations and impatience.

Since taking ownership last July it has been a big learning curve and often times confusing and frustrating.
I've found, especially in the last week or so, that there is more information out there to help, I just wasn't aware of it, or didn't know where to look. I spend hours searching this site and reading info online but sometimes that one piece of the puzzle isn't there.
For example, just yesterday Tom and Bill H told me where to look for the recent in-flight compass calibration and how to check the engine type being used in Skyview. Maybe elementary to you folks who've built the plane from the kit but I didn't know for example that the Installation Kit was revised with each firmware update. D'ooh.I'm looking in the paper manual Vans gave me and couldn't see it. As soon as I followed Bill's direction for the "12.2 manual' bingo there it was.
I'm about to get an iPad Air as backup to Skyview with Foreflight Mobile and Synthetic vision?from now on all the manuals, POH, and Rotax info and bulletins etc all be stored there.

Can I just say a big Thank You to all of you who have the time and patience to offer a tip of other help, it's greatly appreciated. I apologize for any perceptions of complaining perceived as whining. It's just frustration at not being able to find the missing piece sometimes, and lack of knowledge. I'm trying to learn as I go and it's certainly paying of.

After a couple of weeks of down time due to a Skyview repair, then getting caught up on some servicing items and dealing with SBs today I was able to go fly the RV-12 with no 'issues' and it was 'awesome'. I really love the airplane, I feel I made a great choice for ME, and I really think the Skyview and the Rotax are great units.

To top it off, I went round the hangar corner at my airfield (KFDW SC) and met Manny?who is building an RV-12!! Who knew?! We spent an hour talking RV-12 and I hope I can provide some help to him in any way I can?even if it's 'just stand there and hold this whilst I ?." This is the first RV-12 I've seen in it's building stage and I got a great idea of how much goes into it. Kinda feel a bit guilty for a few seconds that I bought an SLSA (well, only for a few seconds!:D)

Manny has been working on it for 6 years so hopefully I can offer some help in helping him get it finished in any way I can.

It was a good day today and again?thanks to all who've taken the time to help! It's greatly appreciated!:)

Great post.

As a new RV-12 S-LSA owner myself I can vouch for some of the feelings you have. Every time I go flying or do any work on the airplane I learn something and have more questions.

I have dual G3X screens and it's quite a journey learning that system - but it's also amazing finding all the things it can do. The autopilot alone is fantastic but has a learning curve to do some of the more interesting things like VNAV, ESP (electronic stability), and altitude capture. Being new to the world of EFIS screens, I am like a kid in a candy store - on a recent trip being able to see a line of weather "live" 20-30 miles from my course was very reassuring - the same system might have kept me on the ground in the old days. The G3X team has been very helpful when I have had questions - like setting up the ESP in configuration mode. Likewise, Rian at Van's (and Gus Funnell) helped me chase down a noise gremlin - the audio input on GTR200 was picking up noise from (presumably) the alternator: simply turning down the audio input volume solved that problem.

Ditto on the ipad idea: I just got a dedicated Mini 2 for the RV - using Garmin Pilot and Foreflight as well - like the idea of putting all the manuals there. I have a Bad Elf GPS to back up the primary GPS source. I can also use bluetooth to upload a flight plan to the G3X via Garmin Pilot.

Vans hooked me up with Vic Syracuse to help install my 2nd screen and do an engine service - another forum member who has been helpful to me as has Randy Pflanzer.

I like the idea of finding local RV-12 builders to learn from and see the "inside out" process: if any North Florida builders are reading this let me know. Happy to provide free labor (and some time in my RV) in exchange for knowledge.

Flying of course it all I hoped it would be - 15 hours in the first month and loving it. Daydreaming of flying when I'm anywhere else.....

Next step - get the new dimpled floats and life will be grand.

Turner it was great talking to you. I'm glad that your decision to buy the demo RV-12 SLSA has turned out so well!
I love the paint job on it and I think dual-Garmin G#X Touch will be an awesome set-up.

It's nice that I have a hangar neighbor who's building. I'll be glad to help in any way too.
I have a Rotax qualified mechanic not too far away and another friend who bought one of the first SLSAs at a nearby airport. It's great to build a network of RV-12 folks and we can all help each other by sharing the things we've learned!

Top Cat,

I'm based out of Summerville (KDYB), we need to meet somewhere for lunch or bring the bride down to Charleston for dinner!

PaintJob.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My -12 (purchased from Jabiru USA) has little in common with yours except for the aft two-thirds of the airframe.:D

Regards,
Tom

P.S. EBB...you and Katie are invited!:D:D:D

Last edited:
Tom,

That would be great, I'm not that far from you. EBB is in San Diego.

The Jabiru RV-12 looks very interesting!

Tom,

That would be great, I'm not that far from you. EBB is in San Diego.

The Jabiru RV-12 looks very interesting!

Just pulling EBB's leg...we've been long time good friends. We also live part-time in San Diego.

I'll send you a pm when we get back in town.

Tom

Top Cat,

I'm based out of Summerville (KDYB), we need to meet somewhere for lunch or bring the bride down to Charleston for dinner!

PaintJob.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My -12 (purchased from Jabiru USA) has little in common with yours except for the aft two-thirds of the airframe.:D

Regards,
Tom

P.S. EBB...you and Katie are invited!:D:D:D

Love your paint job😎

Back