What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elongated Hole - Top of Wing

Well I had to drill out an LP4-3 rivet on the top outboard skin of my right wing the other day and totally messed it up. See the image below.

aw9nrc.jpg

I have a N RIVET BSPQ-5-2 (5/32 pop rivet) left over from applying the RV-12 Wing Doubler Install Kit (SERVICE BULLETIN 14-11-03). That looks like it would cover this error.

Can I use this or are there any other recommendations for how to address this error?

Thanks.

Chris,

If you are building ELSA the repair method needs to be approved by Vans. If you are building EAB the call is yours. Going to a larger diameter fastener is a pretty standard repair.

Rich

From eyeballing the picture this looks like a bigger hole than 5/32. Better measure hole and call Vans for advice.

When removing LP4 or CS4 blind rivets, always drive the steel mandrel out of the center using a 1/16" pin punch before drilling. This will help avoid the drill bit wondering off to one side.

#13 Drill

After Driving out the steel mandrel drill the rivet out with a # 31 Drill and there should be no damage to the Skins.

Joe D

Last edited:
FWIW I use the rivet removal tool from ATS on both pulled and bucked rivets and highly recommend it. Removed the entire forward lower skins without any issues. I don't attempt to drill out pulled rivets. Just drill off the head and use a small set of snips to wiggle it out from behind or use an autopunch to pop it out if you can't get to it. Never found a reason to go after the mandrel.

For bucked rivets finding the center is the key and I'll generally use one or two pilot holes to make sure I'm finding center. Also drilling a small pilot hole relives the stress on the rivet and allows it to come out easily.

JB Weld

What if you fill the hole with JB weld, Let it get hard and re drill the hole
Then take the new rivet and coat it with JB weld and install it
I used this on striped thread in a aluminum motor block then drilled and taped it, it worked fine
Where is this located on the wing. do you have a photo with a larger view

Well I had to drill out an LP4-3 rivet on the top outboard skin of my right wing the other day and totally messed it up. See the image below.

I have a N RIVET BSPQ-5-2 (5/32 pop rivet) left over from applying the RV-12 Wing Doubler Install Kit (SERVICE BULLETIN 14-11-03). That looks like it would cover this error.

Can I use this or are there any other recommendations for how to address this error?

Thanks.

Back