What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken NACA vent- need advice

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
The rear NACA vent stem broke from the knob and I can't figure out an easy fix. Can I order a new vent and scavenge the parts I need? Any other ideas?

Need help, pics attached,
Oly

a2gaxw.jpg

qrxlwm.jpg

121so3l.jpg

Last edited:
Broken Vent

No response, guess these things don't break often. Anyone have any of these vents from a project or parts bin? I may be able to salvage the parts I need to make mine work. I was able to secure it in the closed position with a countersunk screw threaded though the inner shroud but would like to be able to have the back seater open the vent as needed.

Let me know if anyone has a complete assembly or whatever parts you have.

Oly

I could be wrong, but I think that is a custom part, or somethign I haven't seen sold by anyone for a long time - that might account for the lack of responses. I don't THINK it was ever a Van's part.....

Try PLASTIC SUPER GLUE 386855

I had my NACA vent shaft break and glued the shaft back with plastic super glue 386855.

Comes with a liquid primer to condition the plastic. The glue itself is a gel.

The vent broke at 36 flight hours and I now have 908 hours and it is still working.

Regards,
Bill

Those look like canard parts, no longer made. There was a repair kit available for some time but gone now.
I have a complete spare I'm saving for "some day"....
Like others suggested, work out a repair for the shaft. Homebuilt fabrication......

Last edited:
Broken Vent

Thanks for the tips, I think I might have found a plastic threaded stud from Click Bond that might work. If it is the right size, will thread it through the inner shroud and glue the stud to the outer vent door. I do have it locked in the closed position right now but obviously want to have it operational for the back seater. I do have an LV-3 type ventilator in the back as well so there is a decent amount of air flowing. In the hot, humid Missouri summers, more air is definitely better.

I would have just glued the old stud in place but it came apart in 3 pieces and had a lot of stress cracks and deterioration in the plastic stud. If it works, I will post pics and info on the part number in case anyone else has the problem.

Oly

Back