What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Customer Service and Parts Availability

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I am starting this thread to begin a more focused discussion of the issues with Rotax customer support and parts availability. This discussion began on this thread, which was started to specifically address the Bing carburetor floats, and then morphed into a more general discussion. For the background information read the original thread. I'm copying a couple of the last posts for convenience.

From me:

"OK, guys, let's see if we can turn this conversation to a more positive direction before it gets completely out of hand and the thread gets shut down. Years ago when my company sent me to dispute resolution training I remember that one of the principles of reaching a consensus was to concentrate on the things we can AGREE on, as a starting point. Can we agree on these points?

1. The delays in getting replacement parts has been extremely frustarting to many Rotax owners.
2. The Rotax supply/support chain, at least to US customers, is less than optimal.
3. Language and possibly cultural barriers exist that hamper communication.
4. This is a wider problem than just floats. Remember the engine-driven fuel pump issue of a few years ago?
5. We would all like to see the Rotax supply/support chain and two-way communications improved, and are willing to help in that effort.

Might it be possible to have a working group address these issues with Rotax management, the three distributors, and Kodiak? Possibly at Oshkosh when most if not all of these entities are available. No shouting and finger pointing, just a straightforward airing out of issues and ideally a plan to improve the situation.

Thoughts on this idea?"

From Sink:

"I agree that positive is better.
Please don't shoot the messenger here I don't make these rules and have to follow them just like the next guy . I'm in the same boat. I'm just trying to let people know the system in place.
The three distributors, and Kodiak are at Oshkosh and Sun'n Fun. If you want a direct talk that would be the place, but it is possible they will ask you to put it in writing and submit it through channels since they are dealing with so many people there.

Normally:
Unfortunately there is no direct link to Rotax in Austria and they won't talk directly to the public. Not even the US distributors have that option. The chain that they use and don't deviate from is: The customer must report issues to the regional distributor via the CSIR (customer service information report) form, then the distributor adds comments to the form and forwards this to the master distributor or the Rotax Flying and Safety club that handles warranties for the America's market (North , Central and South America). Then either one of those two entities have direct contact with Rotax. Each master distributor in the world, 22 of them, do get personal audit visits from time to time from Rotax to make sure things are running correctly with the master and regional distributors. Our only way to contact anyone and have information sent to them is through the CSIR and then you can attach your information to that.

Too many people don't fill out the CSIR form so Rotax never has any feedback or doesn't know the scope of an issue. This really needs to be done.

Side note:
This is the only way to report a problem and also get warranty if you are still within that period of time. Here is a big issue, you must have registered your engine to get help. If you did not send in your warranty card or the SLSA Mfg did not register the engine for you then you must contact your regional distributor to have them do it for you. If your engine isn't registered and you have a warranty claim you must get it registered first before they will help you. Just call the distributor and have them do it.

You can use this web page to type your engine serial number in to see if your engine is registered.

http://www.rotaxflyingclub.com/registration/engine

The Rotax Flying and Safety Club web page is a great place to get lots of info.
Things that re new, where to find a Rotax engine tech, all your SB's, SI's, etc..... and all your manuals. They have Rotax course schedules, the CSIR form. Lots of good info can be found here. The other good place for info is right off the Rotax website.

http://flyrotax.com/home.aspx

Info from either of these sites can really help an owner. I have been doing this for a couple decades and they still help me all the time."

OK, so for going forward, jump to next post.

IMHO, information about the Rotax communication process has been pretty confusing, at least since I got into the RV-12/Rotax scene in 2009. Maybe this is just because I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I don't think I ever heard of the "Rotax Flying and Safety Club" until Sink mentioned it. I have been getting all my information from www.rotaxowner.com, thinking that was the official information source. Again, I may be wrong, but I don't recall Van's or anyone else mentioning Rotax Flying and Safety Club. Secondly, until Sink came along with his information, I don't think I ever knew of the CSIR (customer service information report). To the best of my memory, the only trouble report I was informed of was the Van's form. I had no idea reports could be submitted directly to Rotax. Similarly, I knew nothing of registering the engine directly. As far as I knew, all that had to be handled through Van's.

It seems to me there has been a general lack of understanding regarding the Rotax distributor/dealer network, especially as in regards to the USA. Quite likely it is better understood in Europe. As a result some US customers have come to feel cut off from communications and support.

I would think it would be in the Rotax company's best interest to improve customer service and support, regardless of where in the world. I would think they would want to reverse the perception by some customers that Rotax takes what appears to some to be an arrogant stance as the prominent and dominant supplier of this class of engine. I'm guessing that due to the multi-level organization that Sink describes, Rotax executives are not aware of any discontent in the owner community.

If Kodiak and the three distributers are represented at OSH, then is that not an opportunity for some open and frank conversation? How could such a meeting be set up?

The Rotax Owner Blog has been not much help. They only post the SB and then an old update. I have been unable to find any info or communications about the current state of delivery of new floats.

Thanks for this page. It's needed.

EBB

Maybe another route - - -

Rotax

Rotax is the brand name for a range of internal combustion engines developed and manufactured by the Austrian company BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG, in turn owned by the Canadian Bombardier Recreational Products.

en.wikipedia.org

I've filled out CSIR forms and even tried calling them. It's a lot like kicking a dinosaur tail. You kick and a long while later there may be a response, maybe.

Rotax can, and does, put out exhaustive SBs in minute detail, explaining the dangers and the need to comply. It stops short of assisting the customers from making good on the issue. The float issue is a huge example of the problem.

I've called Lockwood and gotten replacement 'old floats' and recently replacement 'new floats'. I've even gotten my refund for the replacement 'new floats'.
I was lucky and called at the right time. When I first had a float issue I had to scavenge a float from a friendly mechanic. It was an 'old float' in good shape.
Had I not had that I would have been grounded. many customers of expensive airplanes are grounded for want of these small floats. The replacements are little more than the old floats with a little more scrutiny before leaving their manufacturer.

Several posters on VAF have been maligned for daring to complain and wave the BS flag to this whole issue, and were often chided for whining. Not sure why because we're all in the same boat…plane…whatever.

Seeems to me Rotax needs a petition sent to them or something stronger than a trickle of CSIRs. I filled out mine and have no idea if Rotax got them, read them or even if they give a hoot.

An Idea for Lockwood!

In 2012 the "engine registration" was confusing. I tried doing it on some Canadian website and achieved only confusion. The form and instructions that came with the engine were confusing. I called Lockwood and they took down my info over the phone and they handled it. Nice folks! When I upgraded my fuel pump through them the cost was refunded. My floats are outside the serial number range - I still though checked and they were OK. all of the other SBs that have come out since 2012 or so have been n/a to my serial number.

So Lockwood is doing a lot of "customer service" stuff apparently. Yes, that's good will and all but maybe they could consider this - start a Lockwood Rotax Owners Club. You pay a modest fee and Lockwood handles all your SB stuff, paperwork, parts obtaining, etc. They send out regular communications (in plain English rather than Rotax-speak) on SB and engine related issues. They do the CSIRs when a problem is reported to them and "try" to follow up. In other words, they act as the intermediary and provide the customer service that is typical of the Experimental community's vendors.

I bought my oil pressure sender relocator kit from them, plus all my Rotax-related parts, filters, plugs, etc. There is opportunity, I think, for them to put together RV-12 specific spare parts kits for annuals, etc.

Rotax-owner.com is OK, kind of expensive, and is really just for the how-to videos, you are still on your own for parts and actual help.

I'll do what I can to answer your questions, but remember jumping on the messenger won't help the situation.

So here goes and I'm not sure exactly where to begin.

First everyone should check to see if their engine is registered.

Rotax and other entities recommend at least taking the Rotax Service course because this is where almost all these questions are answered. After the class you will have a good handle on what websites to use and where to find almost any info you need.
The www.rotax-owner.com forum is owned by Rotec in BC, Canada and is not affiliated with Rotax other than they are authorised to desiminate info and use the forum to help people. The is the Rotax master distributor for Rotax in Canada. They handle mostly certified engines, but do see others. They do make available the manuals and all bulletin type publications from Rotax. They produce their own videos and it isn't from Rotax. This is a good website for the forum info, techs available online and good videos.

Rotax has its own website which is in the documentation that came with every engine and plane from that MFG. Rotec has the CSIR form, but don't use it from the US or it will delay getting you help.

It is www.flyrotax.com

This has the most up to date info as it is the first place Rotax will publish information.

The www.rotaxflyingclub.com is not Rotax, but is authorised by Rotax to handle all warranty claims. The have on their website all the manuals and bulletin type info like Rotax does. They have maps where to find technicians, find course schedules, register engines and find the CSIR form.

Anytime you want to file any type of claim with Rotax whether in warranty or out you MUST fill out this form and send it to your regional distributor. You should also copy your logbook and send it too. This is one reason I'm such a huge fan of detailed documentation. More about this later and what it can really do for you as an owner. Rotax will help people out of warranty, but not if you are a bad record keeper, use aftermarket parts or fail to perform the prescribed maint..

The three US distributors are Lockwood, California Power Systems and Leading Edge. They can help you directly sometimes depending on what the issue is. Usually more minor simple to solve type issues. When you submit a CSIR form they are to get it, write their comments and send it on to Rotax Flying and Safety Club. You can not go direct to the Rotax Flying and safety club. You are technically under the guise of your distributor for help.

I fully realize that owners get frustrated sometimes when parts aren't available immediately.
This can be for several reasons. Demand is way higher than the supply. People see something in writing like the float issue and order them whether they need them or not. Some order 10 sets and use them for friends or they are a mechanic. I'm sure most have a reason for ordering the way they do.
Sometimes it is a supplier breakdown that supplies Rotax and even they are short. Sometimes service centers misjudge a demand and get caught short. They only get parts once a month unless they need a special order.

You can not talk directly to Rotax in Austria. That's like picking up the phone and trying to call the CEO of Ford, Chevy or Apple. Rotax makes has been making engines since 1920 and have many different branches and engine types for different products.

All communications must go through a distributor. They can deal with some and may send some up the chain. That is their prerogative.

For up to date info and accurate info you really should be using Fly Rotax or Rotax Flying and safety club.

I would highly recommend taking the basic Rotax 2 day Service class. It has lots of info aimed for exactly what you need as an owner and will teach you the difference in this engine over other older style air cooled engines and why you absolutely can not treat it the same. What keeps parts moving well for Rotax is owners doing what they want on this engine and not what's in the manual.
A couple of decades ago I was new with Rotax and learning too. It went to school back then which was the best thing I ever did since I have always used this engine and have continued to go to school all these years.

My fingers are getting numb. :)

Last edited:
The 912ULS is a great little engine which accounts for its dominance in the LSA market. However market dominance seems to have made ROTAX tone deaf to the customer service issue many perceive. Until they get a serious challenger we may not see a change in attitude.

"Rotax will help people out of warranty, but not if you are a bad record keeper, use aftermarket parts or fail to perform the prescribed maint.."

My well-maintained 700 hour 912 ULS had a catastrophic failure of the crankcase. It was maintained by a Rotax-certified mechanic. The engine was made in 2006 and the case failure is a well-known problem for that era engine. In fact, Rotax redesigned the cases in order to prevent this problem. And, no, my prop was not over-pitched.

I worked closely with one of the three major Rotax distributors and completed all of the documentation required by Rotax. I purchased a new 912 from the major distributor rather than rebuilding the failed engine. Now, almost two years later, I never heard a word from Rotax. Not a word.

So, they may help some people, but they sure didn't help me. On a sour note, I do get tired of hearing Rotax instructors explain how Rotax is so good with their customers. My experience suggests otherwise.

Kitplanes?

I wonder if a major experimental aircraft magazine (Kitplanes) could publish an enlightening article about these issues and Rotax for us? I'll bet that there is a lot more to this than meets the eye here on the VAF and I think that both current and potential Rotax users would be very interested. Such an article would surely clear up a lot of the misunderstanding and lack of information that exists. Information is good. I sure appreciate the info garnered from this VAF blog. Thanks to all.

The exposure thru the mass media might help both us consumers and the manufacturer.

Where is Vans aircraft on this issue ?

I had decided to buy an RV12 and planned to spend a lot of time studying them at OSH. After this thread, I am not nearly as excited. Where is Rotax on the learning curve such that a 2015 purchase would be less problematic than those referenced above ?

I am a devoted Vans fan but NOT looking for grief with airplanes.

I had decided to buy an RV12 and planned to spend a lot of time studying them at OSH. After this thread, I am not nearly as excited. Where is Rotax on the learning curve such that a 2015 purchase would be less problematic than those referenced above ?
No one is perfect. We all make mistakes including companies like Van's and Rotax. No matter what brand kit or engine you buy, there will be a certain amount of grief. During the past several years, Van's has made improvements and worked the bugs out of the RV-12. It is a great airplane and the Rotax is a great engine. There will always be some unhappy customers no matter what the product. Check out the customer reviews for any product on Amazon. About 10 percent of customers are unhappy with products. I predict that by the time your new RV-12 is completed, there will be an ample supply of carburetor floats that do not sink. I just weighed my 5-year-old floats at 3.1 grams each, all within spec. It is not a design issue. The float manufacturer made a mistake. But they are correcting it.

The June 2015 edition of The Aviation Consumer has a four page article by Paul Bertorelli, entitled "Inside Rotax: Leveraged Technology." The article gives some background on the company and talks about it's aviation engine technology. It does not talk about any customer satisfaction issues, does not go into the relationship of Rotax with any of it's distributors and doesn't mention support. There is a discussion of quality control and testing.
According to the article, Rotax was divested by Bombardier in 2003 and is a stand-alone company. It builds 215,000 engines a year of which 3,00-4,000 are aviation engines, Bertorelli writes. Apparently, Rotax backed into aviation engines via snowmobile engines being put in ultralights.
It's an interesting article perhaps as much for what it doesn't say as for what it does.
One could conclude that Rotax aircraft engines are part of a large, modern, successful operation. One might also wonder if flying behind 1.8% of the company's output makes one feel 100% confident in commitment and support.

Last edited:

Sadly, this is one example of the collateral damage that can occur as a result of a forum like this.

The best advice I can offer is this...

1. Airplane building and/or ownership is a complicated undertaking. Anyone that is easily frustrated by the ups and down's that can come along will probably find more enjoyment in another past time.

2. Because of many peoples human nature, it is common to find lots of complaints on the internet regarding just about anything. People are more than willing to blow off steam when they feel they have been wronged, but are much less prone to spend personal time writing positive reviews.
We see this here on VAF all the time... People come in the forums and post complaints about Van's or other vendors, before they have even contacted them regarding the issue.

Now I know that interfacing with Rotax is different.... that you can't just call them up on the phone. But these two recent threads prove that the majority of the Rotax owners that are complaining, know very little about the proper processes to use when wanting their voice to be heard.
(Just using my freedom to voice my own opinion like everyone else here)

Having said that, I can't predict what the future will be (nor can anyone else). I can tell you that I feel that Rotax has treated customers above and beyond what Lyc and Cont has in the past (can you imagine being told that the crankshaft in your barely broken in brand new engine has to be replaced at the first engine overhaul regardless of condition, and the cost will be all yours), when it comes to covering parts costs for design changes and manufacturing defects.
Could they do better? Absolutely.

I wonder if a major experimental aircraft magazine (Kitplanes) could publish an enlightening article about these issues and Rotax for us? I'll bet that there is a lot more to this than meets the eye here on the VAF and I think that both current and potential Rotax users would be very interested. Such an article would surely clear up a lot of the misunderstanding and lack of information that exists. Information is good. I sure appreciate the info garnered from this VAF blog. Thanks to all.

The exposure thru the mass media might help both us consumers and the manufacturer.

E.D., I think that is a great idea. I wonder if Paul Dye is listening?

Larry, don't throw out the baby with the bath water. The Rotax is a great little engine, and the Rotax documentation, despite the sometimes awkward translations, is very good. They have also been good about issuing SB's when product problems have surfaced. Where they have not done so well, in my opinion and that of many others, is in establishing a two-way communication path with the customer base, and in making replacement parts available in a timely way. Refunds for warranted components has worked for some folks, not so much for others. The purpose of this thread is not to discourage anyone from using the engine, but rather to try to find a way to improve the processes mentioned above, for the good of all.

Looking forward in a positive way.

I think the majority of the frustration could be alleviated by education on the product and the system in general. What I have read on many post was I really didn't know things were set up this way or where to find info. Cont. and Lycoming or any engine is the same.

Go explore these three websites in all their nooks and crannies.
These should be your go to sites for info plus any authorised Rotax tech can probably steer you in the right direction.

www.flyrotax.com Rotax's offical site

http://rotaxflyingclub.com/ Rotax authorised site for most anything.

www.rotax-owner.com Another Rotax authorised site by Rotec

I'm here to help if someone needs it.

If you go on any product forum there are always some frustrated people. Once in a while they have a valid claim, but many times it is from lack of understanding of the product, its capabilities and the process involved in maintaining a specific product.

I would say the huge majority of time people's frustration with Rotax comes more from lack of understanding, product education and certainly at times lack of help and follow through on someone else part. Poorly educated mechanics working on a rotax can at times add to owners frustrations when things are done wrong. Nothing different here from other things we own.

Every individual has been at the starting point at one time. They didn't know a single thing until they either took the time to learn, research or tackle a particular job. Everyone here started at ground zero at one point in time during their life with a certain product. If you just purchased your first RV12 and your first Rotax engine you are there. Ground zero. Now is the perfect time for additional education. All the info is out there online with experts to help. I have been doing this for approx. 20 years. That includes multiple Rotax schools, seeing lots of engines and their problems and working within the system. Is it always fast, no.
For the guy who just got a Rotax engine we were all there once so take the time to pre-read the manuals, look up the bulletins, I would highly recommend the Rotax 2 day Service class and please ask all the questions you want from the Rotax techs and please stay away from aftermarket parts. Just had a guy put an aftermarket starter on his Rotax 912ULS engine. Of course the oil leaked into the starter. It's ruined and now he has to pay for another starter, have the engine pulled and pay to have this all done a second time.

Once you understand the system life is far less frustrating.

What I hear most of the time from owners is; I didn't know that existed, I don't know where to find the manuals, I don't know where to find bulletins or I don't need a Rotax school because I know how to work on a Ford.

The learning process here doesn't happen overnight. I would at least read the Installation manual, the Operator's manual and the Line Maint. manual and use that checklist for every inspection. Then you'll know where the info is and have a better understanding of some of its differences and if the mechanic is doing it the right way. When I went to my first Rotax school I pre-read the manuals so I had some idea what the instructor was talking about. When I got out I re-read them and they made sense then. Then over the last 25 years things change so you must keep up and read the bulletins.

If you belong to Rotax-Owner.com they will send you the newest bulletins by email automatically.

Taking a Rotax course will teach you things like when looking for a bolt torque and it isn't in the Line or Heavy maint. manual it is always in the Parts catalog. It will teach you where to find the CSIR and the chain of its submission. It will tell you that the manuals are written for 3 basic engines and to make sure you are using the data for your engine. If you have a 912 you don't want to use the 914 info.

We are dealing with a European country and it isn't in the US so there are time considerations, language and even different rules and regs. from each country. Manuals and the like are written for worldwide Rotax engines and not just the US. As an example some fluids are not found in all parts of the world when you look at a SI from Rotax.

Last edited:
Hi Larry,

The RV12 is a good plane. You have read about other people's frustration due to lack of knowledge in a certain areas that becomes a frustration.
It doesn't have to be that way.

The RV12 is a good aircraft and engine combo.

Any product in the world can have an issue. It is how we understand that product and how the company then stands up for that product and fixes the problem that will separate the bad, mediocre or the excellent service.

Rotax has identified over the years things they didn't like or an issue. What separates them over others is they took the high road, admitted right up front an issue needed attention and took the steps to fix it.
That's proactive and not reactive like many companies when a problem gets so bad it takes someone like the NTSB to force them to fix it.

That's a step above to jump in when you only had 1-2 issues then help everyone worldwide and many times pay for it too.

Rotax is by far a more dependable engine than old technology Cont. or Lycoming. Take care of it and do the prescribed maint. and it should easily double its TBO.
Continental engines came out in 1929 and is now owned by the Chinese. Not a lot has changed in that engine over the last few decades.

Rotax learning curve status ?

Thanks to all for taking time for input. Not my first rodeo on product design and manufacturing. I was usually the whipping post in my working days. The RV 12 sounds fantastic to build and own. Vans has worked through the inevitable teething issues . I will get a yes or no vote from Vans at OSH regarding if the Rotax has stabilized reasonably. Thanks again!

OSH is not always the best venue to make a decision on how good a product is.:rolleyes: Its a very busy time, customers 10 deep in line asking the same question over and over again. Consider just finding a owner near by your home where you can go and be one on one to discuss the airplane you are interested in. Also check in with Mitch Locke, Vans east coast rep who maybe in your area where you can see the RV12.;) Consider going to any Vans Forms that are offered while at OSH. Lastly if it fits your schedule consider flying out and visiting Vans Factory located just south of PDX. Considering the amount of money to build a flying RV12 the expense of a 3 day trip to PDX is very small for all that 1 on 1 info and a non rushed intro flight if the weather allows it.:)

I hate to stir the pot, but I'm getting very frustrated. I ordered a new set of carb floats from California Power Systems (CPS) back in March in hope of getting them by the time I was ready to fly. No joy. Since I now have 25 hours on the plane, I started in on the 25hr Rotax maintenance and inspection. Two of my four floats flunked the weight criteria. That means I'm potentially grounded.

Luckily, my local Rotax mechanic on the field had some old floats that he has loaned me to get me back in the air again. I will get them installed tomorrow and get my bird back flying again.

Between March and now I have made at least five phone calls to my CPS rep asking about the status of my order. All I get are the same old stories about shipping screwups causing the delays. As of this morning, I have yet to get a delivery date or even an intelligent guess as to when I can expect the floats.

This is the worst example of cutomer service that I have ever seen. Rotax makes themselves inaccessible to complaints. Their dealers have no idea whats going on either, nor do they seem to care. This is pure BS!

Alex,
I feel your frustration. I lucked out and got the "new" replacements simply by calling Lockwood at the right moment, blind luck.

Like you, while waiting, my mechanic came to my aid and loaned me some new "old floats". I also ordered a set of 4 from Lockwood not knowing how long this debacle would last.

That said, prepare to be underwhelmed. The new floats, I'm told, are basically the old floats with another level of inspection and a couple of dimples to note that. I paid $177 for the new floats compared to $134 for a set of new "old" floats. After many weeks I finally got a refund for the $177 through Lockwood.

I love my RV-12. I flew it 5.2 hours today and it performed really well, 122kTAS at 7500 feet on about 4.6 gph. Every time I land somewhere new someone always comes over to admire it, ask questions, and admire the paint job. It's an SLSA so I tell them Vans/Synergy built it.
It just makes it all the more exasperating and surprising to have to go through the
whole float debacle. You can laud Rotax all you want but in the case of the carb float issue they totally dropped the ball.
Amazingly they seem to be totally indifferent to their affected customers. I'm not the first new LSA Rotax customer to have had a few second thoughts about buying a Rotax powered airplane I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
As a data point, I received my back-ordered compliant floats from CPS last week. I don't recall when I put my name on their order list, but it was fairly soon after the SB came out. When replaced, my original floats were at: 3.2 / 3.3 and 3.4 / 3.5 -- at 1.5 years and 160 hours. ROTAX/CPS requires that you return the old floats and gaskets for warranty processing. Now we'll have to wait and see how well ROTAX handles the warranty work.

I've been on the list at Lockwood since March as well and I'm still waiting. Just another data point.

I guess I also called at the right time - got my new floats in March. Now the refund, that's a different story. My old floats were delivered to Lockwood March 23 and I'm still waiting for my refund. I've called them twice and their answer was "be patient".

I remodel my kitchen and as a part of the process, I buy a new oven from Sears. The oven breaks after one month of use. Inside that oven is a microcontroller made by Intel. It is determined that the Intel device has a known reliability problem, has failed and needs to be replaced. Does Sears expect me, as the end consumer, to obtain the replacement device from Intel? Obviously not.

As with the Sears oven internals, when I purchased my RV-12 engine kit from Van's, I was not given an alternative as to what make/model of engine came with it. At least with Intel, I could voice my concerns to their management team if the replacement parts were back-ordered. Not so with Rotax.

So Scott, the message is pretty simple........how about some help from Van's? Because of the puchasing power of Van's with Rotax, its involvement could possibly help us move forward.

Thanks,
Alex

I once got pretty beaten up here for saying that "I hope Rotax succeeds" at my airport and in the USA. The beater uppers howled that Rotax was a world wide mega success with more engines flying than Continental and Lycoming combined. I guess that is true....But:

I fly from the biggest general aviation airport in Southern California which is the biggest general aviation market in the USA (I think). But there are only four Rotax engines on our field and two of them are on a Tecnma twin; so far at least Rotax is not a competitor and not a success.....not even noticeable.

They ain't gonna be a success either if the "mandatory SB" stuff followed by ignoring customers keeps up; pilots will look elsewhere for engines.

I agree that Van's needs to exercise some muscle with Rotax and, if I know Vans' people, they have already done that. But maybe even Van's isn't big enough to get Rotax's attention.

Rotax's approach to customers fails to recognize a market presence fact that any decent competitor knows by heart: "A dissatisfied customer tells 12 others and a satisfied customer only tells three." (That came from a Harvard Business School case I know about).

With the carb float debacle now a year old Rotax has demonstrated a disdain for customers that only a monopoly or a dictatorship could get away with. They will not succeed if they don't get over that and damned fast IMHO.

EBB:-(

Refund from Rotax

I guess I also called at the right time - got my new floats in March. Now the refund, that's a different story. My old floats were delivered to Lockwood March 23 and I'm still waiting for my refund. I've called them twice and their answer was "be patient".

Sort of glad to hear I am not the only one waiting for my refund...at least they shipped me new floats as soon as they became available...

Thanks for the lead on the floats John. I was able to get four used but serviceable floats on loan from Wayne at Southland Rotax (F70), so the fire has been put out for now. I still do not have a delivery date from CPS!

A new delemna?

I have been running on 4 nos floats that are about 10 years old. I took them off a 912 that has never been fired up (except at the factory). My very gracious buddy told me I could either install the new ones back in his motor or put the originals back in. The motor is in a Sea Ray project that he is not going to finish and is for sale. My 912 is running great with these vintage floats and I am very tempted to leave them in. Comments? Roger Lee, Loki, you guys out there?

Back