What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back in the Saddle

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
It was seven months and seven days ago that I had spinal fusion surgery, L1 - L5, a >>highly<< invasive surgery with a long recovery time -- "full" recovery is maybe another six months away. But I did fly the RV-8 today for the first time since the surgery.

At the six month point post-surgery, I flew my trusty old Cessna with an instructor buddy, and had no problems except feeling strange during an unusual attitude recovery. A week later, we flew 90 minutes of instrument practice.

A week after that, I flew the Cessna five days in a row from the right seat (I'm an out of practice CFII), preparing to check out the new owner of the Cessna. That all went quite well, and a week later, the RV-9A showed up.

Being much more comfortable with right hand on the stick, I flew the -9A from the right seat with the seller in the left, and the two landings were just fine. I subsequently flew the -9A four or five times, and those flights were safe but definitely not pretty -- but that's another story. It was surprising how much harder the -9A is to keep on centerline than the Cessna, which had a steerable nosewheel.

Then a few days ago, I started up the -8 and taxied it a little, just for a reacquaintance. This morning was the first flight, light winds but tower accommodated my desires to go directly into the wind. I was feeling good, looking forward to the flight, and had an energetic, positive, can-do attitude, not all of which have been present since I started flying a month ago.

It felt great, and I'm glad I didn't sell the -8 before the surgery. Thanks to all who suggested that I keep it. While the flight wasn't up to my standards (i.e., **** near perfect), the one takeoff and one landing (short flight, just to keep things under control) were quite acceptable.

Now to finish the -9A panel upgrade and to get really, really proficient in both planes.

Back