What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glaucoma and flying the RV (or any airplane)

David-aviator

Well Known Member
This message may be of interest to older pilots and pilots not far from being "older".

My medical certificate is to expire soon so I had an eye exam to make sure I could pass the vision test. I have moderate cataracts but correctible with glasses. The exam revealed a different problem I was not aware of - high pressure in the left eye. Specifically 33, a number determined by the test. FAA limit is 23.

The indication is a precursor to glaucoma which can lead to optic nerve damage and blindness if not treated. The optic nerve has over 1 million transmitters, incredible.

Back to FAA certification - I was concerned that this might be the end. Glaucoma affects peripheral vision as it shuts down eye function.

First thing to happen was the ophthalmologist prescribed Lumigan drops for 30 days to reduce the pressure. The 33 number had to come down to protect the eye and meet FAA minimum standards.

During the 30 day period I checked out the certification requirements for this condition. It turns out the AME has authority to issue the certificate if certain conditions are met. If these basic conditions are not met, the matter is referred to the FAA for review. The test results are reported on FAA form 8500 completed by the ophthalmologist. This information is presented to the AME with a check list as to whether he can certify.

I did not understand much of the information on form 8500 so the outcome was somewhat in doubt until I saw my AME last week. I gave him the report the week before so he could review it before the appointment.

The 30 days of Lumigan worked, left eye pressure dropped to 22. Next came the peripheral test, it was complicated looking at a white dot and indicating when other white dots appeared around the edges of a circle. I thought I flunked it as I had to do part of it over. As it turns out I did not. My AME issued the certificate, he had reviewed the data and that was that. Whew!

If this situation evolves it probsably will be ok with FAA if detected early. Class 1 and 2 certificates are reviewed every 6 months, Class 3 can go 2 years. The down side is Lumigan drops are forever. Eye pressure should be checked every 6 months to verify the medication is working, it comes in variable strength.

This is very useful info. At 48 i passed my AME no problem but because I mentioned on my application ( just being truthful cause that's the way I was raised) that I had this problem in the past my medical was recinded by the FAA and I was issued a special issuance medical instead . Due to this i had to get examined annually and had to pass the pass the FAA eye exam twice , it is tricky and I think anybody could have issues passing it with good vision or not. Luckily all is well and I no longer have to fly under special issuance . Eye exams are important and they can sometimes detect other problems if you have them. Get checked out and keep flying your RV because it can be stressful when you have so much money invested in a hobby that your passionate about and you have to worry that your privilege can be taken away just like that. By the way, I don't even wear glasses ,just readers.

true 3 rd class good for 2 yrs, BUT you have to do form 8500 and meet standartds EVERY YEAR but only see AME every 2 yrs gary

Vision

Most FAA designated medical examiners will accept a statement from an eye doctor regarding vision/corrected vision. All this statement really needs to say is vision is 20/20 or vision is corrected to 20/20. Limit is corrected to 20/20 for first and second class, 20/40 for third class. You can still get a waiver for worse than 20/20, blind in one eye, etc.
Don't ask-don't tell regarding anything else.
A former boss had implants done, never told the medical examiner.

Back