What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retrofitting a landing light into a flying airplane

Firstlight

Hello Folks:

I fly a 1990's RV4. I really wish it had a landing light (it has strobes and nav lights). Unfortunately, the tips are glassed on in that 1990's fashion that we see from time to time.

Has anybody ever come up with a fresh way of adding a landing light? Feeling your way that last few feet in the dark is easier with a bit of light on the tarmac, I find...

Cheers,

WBK

Landing Lights can be added to an existing leading edge wing, without wingtip removal, if you have the right kit.
This kit comes in pieces that allows you to get the pieces in and out of the light hole easily for marking and drilling ribs for the mounting bracket. Video shows how it assembles. Pop rivets are used. Its much easier to do with the tip off, but in your case, you can do it with the tip on. The bracket was designed in piece for exactly this reason. The more challenging issue generally is getting the power wire out to the last bay for the light. But it has been done before with good success.
KitLeadingEdgePar36.jpg

The RV12 landing light was designed to be added on a wing that was already complete with no access through the wingtip or anything other than the lens opening. Includes templates, clear lens, brackets, etc. You could also get the plans and parts for that item.

It needs a power wire for switched constant operation and a different switched power wire if you want pulsed operation (which is included in the functionality of the light itself if the 12V is applied to that different lead.)

Probably worth pointing out that the RV-12 landing lights are not nearly as bright in terms of illuminating the ground as the round Whelen lights that Mike posted above, at least in my experience. They're good lights, but that PAR 36 Plus round bulb is bright. I have both the older (non-plus) and new/plus model Whelens in my airplane. Good stuff.

Probably worth pointing out that the RV-12 landing lights are not nearly as bright in terms of illuminating the ground as the round Whelen lights that Mike posted above, at least in my experience. They're good lights, but that PAR 36 Plus round bulb is bright. I have both the older (non-plus) and new/plus model Whelens in my airplane. Good stuff.

I would debate that. Have you put them side by side? The Whelen Parmetheus consumes 19 Watts of power, while the Aerosun consumes 36 Watts of power. Both lights have similar lumen/Watt efficiency LEDs, so the Aerosun will put out more total lumens simply due to the difference in power delivered to the LEDs.

Back