What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

After the first 35 hours

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
I now have 35 hours on the RV-10 and everything has gone almost perfect.

I did want to point out the one issue that I did have about 6 hours ago and it may be something to look at. The tube that attaches on the left side of the baffles that feeds air to the oil cooler broke during flight. The ring has about 8 rivets in it but the tube is only tack welded in a couple of spots. My oil temps are normally around 185 and then they jumped to 213, it was still getting about ? the air. Luckily it was 45 degrees out. I made four small brackets and reattached it so that it can?t break again. That is a pretty weak piece though, you may want to reinforce to begin with.

My #1 and #2 cylinders are running the hottest. I cut ?? off the baffle that covers the #2 cylinder and it made a huge difference. Now #2 is 20 degrees cooler than #1. I am going to cut the other tonight.

I had a bad Grand Rapids oil pressure sensor that was replaced. It would read either zero or 99. I hooked up a mechanical sensor and it showed 65 psi at a high idle so I replaced it. Apparently, they have had some issues with them so watch for that.

One thing that I absolutely love is the throttle quadrant. I was afraid that I wouldn?t get the fine tuning that I thought push pull controls give but I find myself pulling the throttle and the prop back together and I can adjust them much quicker and with more accuracy than the push pulls. I would highly recommend it if you are on the fence.

The Cheltons are great but so are the Grand Rapids, I will have to write a side by side comparison as soon as I am more familiar with both. I am still tweaking the autopilot gains on both and learning the approach procedures on both. But I am very happy that I have the Cheltons, they are really nice.

I love how the plane fly?s with 3 or 4 people. With two you really need a little weight in the back to balance it out.

My only problem now is that I can?t stop flying long enough to paint the gear leg fairings.

Scott Schmidt

[email protected]

Cool Picts. from Great Salt Lake and near Vernal UT.

109174036-L.jpg

108984666-L.jpg

Convergence of the Yampa and Green.
108984945-L.jpg

Back