What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Question

Dave12

Well Known Member
Being new to S/V and it's features, I am trying to get up to speed on the A/P and the adsb. I have noticed that the adsb service is very intermittent. I can leave my home airport, have no adsb and fly to a nearby destination, land and shut down. I can then depart with adsb and have it all the way home. The other fliers in my group will have service with their adsb in only receivers with no problems. I am wondering if the adsb out feature is not working. Anyone else experienced this? BTW, there is lots of atc around here. I am between Wash. and Philly.

So weather is only dependent on your receiver, nothing to do with adsb-out.
I'd start by checking connections.

Is the ADS-B not working related to altitude or heading?
Intermittent problems are usually caused by bad connections. Check D-Sub connectors for a broken wire or pin that is not locked in place.
Mac's Blog tells about getting a report about your ADSB-out from the FAA.
Email the FAA at [email protected] with your N-number, ADS-B transmitter and GPS make/model numbers. If you include the date and time of your flight, they might be able to tell you if your ADS-B out was working or not at that time.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the S/V unit, but both my Dual 170 portable and my installed Freeflight unit indicate how many towers it is receiving. Does your unit indicate it is receiving towers when you don't have data displayed?

The Dual unit sometimes how's no towers in remote areas, but the FreeFlight always seems to get at least one.

Dave,
If other people in your area are getting solid ADS-B IN Weather, then the Dynon should work as well if not better. The combination of a very sensitive receiver and a permanently mounted external antenna means really solid coverage when working correctly. In fact, the sensitivity is so good, it probably works OK with a really broken antenna and RF system...

The status on the screen for NEXRAD weather is what you should start with. That service is totally non-dependent on your ADS-B OUT or other planes in the area.

I would focus on your RF connections and antenna install. If you really can't find anything, we can look at the ADS-B module if needed.

Also, just to check- are you getting an "ADS-B IN OFFLINE" error in the message system? If so, that's a power or data connection error.

Dave,
If other people in your area are getting solid ADS-B IN Weather, then the Dynon should work as well if not better. The combination of a very sensitive receiver and a permanently mounted external antenna means really solid coverage when working correctly. In fact, the sensitivity is so good, it probably works OK with a really broken antenna and RF system...

The status on the screen for NEXRAD weather is what you should start with. That service is totally non-dependent on your ADS-B OUT or other planes in the area.

I would focus on your RF connections and antenna install. If you really can't find anything, we can look at the ADS-B module if needed.

Also, just to check- are you getting an "ADS-B IN OFFLINE" error in the message system? If so, that's a power or data connection error.

Yes, when the system is awry, I am getting the "adsb off line" message.

You should never see that message. If you are getting that, either:

1) Power to the ADS-B is bad (power or ground)
2) Data to/from the ADS-B module is bad, could be the TX or RX wire
3) The ADS-B module has an issue

This message only appears when SkyView can't communicate with the ADS-B module, not when there is no ADS- B signal.

You should never see that message. If you are getting that, either:

1) Power to the ADS-B is bad (power or ground)
2) Data to/from the ADS-B module is bad, could be the TX or RX wire
3) The ADS-B module has an issue

This message only appears when SkyView can't communicate with the ADS-B module, not when there is no ADS- B signal.

Thanks, I will check the wiring and if I can't find the problem, will remove the unit and send that to you. I will contact Tech support about the return.

Back