What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Schematic VS Wiring Diagram

Mich48041

Well Known Member
Friend
A schematic illustrates how a circuit works logically. Most troubleshooters prefer schematic diagrams.
A wiring diagram shows how wires and components are connected, but not necessarily in logical order. Many installers prefer wiring diagrams.
THIS gives a good explanation of the difference between a schematic and wiring diagram.
If you have trouble following a wire through the maze of the RV-12 Electrical after 8-25-2011 Download wiring diagram, perhaps you would prefer a RV-12 SCHEMATIC pdf.

Last edited:
Your examples point out one problem with the wiring diagram...

It needs a very large piece of paper...:)

This helpful RV-12 schematic is now on my tablet, ready to help me diagnose a malfunction's potential sources. The wiring diagram already on the tablet will help to locate and troubleshoot the components involved in the malfunction.
Very useful, thank you for sharing, Joe.

All Garmin Panel

Thanks Joe

I also prefer a schematic

Is there one for the Garmin Install

Joe D

A schematic illustrates how a circuit works logically. Most troubleshooters prefer schematic diagrams.
A wiring diagram shows how wires and components are connected, but not necessarily in logically order. Many installers prefer wiring diagrams.
THIS gives a good explanation of the difference between a schematic and wiring diagram.
If you have trouble following a wire through the maze of the RV-12 Electrical after 8-25-2011 Download wiring diagram, perhaps you would prefer a RV-12 SCHEMATIC pdf.

Do you have one for the Flightcom 403 as installed with the Skyview & SL40 with the conversion harnesses. (That is, the many of us who built the plane and "waited for Skyview" - which initially shipped with harnesses to convert from the original aircraft fuselage wiring and connect through the AV5000. Later kits changed the fuselage wiring somewhat, then later ones got rid of the separate intercom.)

I find using the multi-layered Vans drawing to be very frustrating!!!

Billhollifield AT iname DOT COM

Back