Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 13: Dominica

Today (Tuesday 21 April) was the first of two full days on the island, and my morning was spent diving; check it out!

Dave "Taco" Buono:

Last edited by Rosie : 04-21-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).

At the end of the first dive, the Dive Instructor found us some Squid!!!

That's Gene "Moody Blue" Larsen behind the Squid...

Here's Staci "Diddy" Stroud and Jeff "Shiner" Jackson after completing their first dive EVER!

Scott Loftin:

Sharkbait (back from Brazil), Cookie, Alina, Taco & Scoot

Rosie ready to jump in!

Cookie & Scoot:

Mr. Seahorse:

Last edited by Rosie : 04-21-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM

Does anyone know what this 'brillo pad' is? I found it in a coral bowl...

After diving, I flew with Moody Blue to Martinique to buy fuel; a 50nm short hop. Got spanked by both the tower in the air and....hmmm...I'll be glad to tell you all about it....in person...hold that thought when you see me on the ramp somewhere in America....

Tomorrow (Wednesday 22 April) will be a repeat for the diving followed by an 'Island Tour' for the group.

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited by Rosie : 04-23-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM

the "Brillo Pad" looks like a variety of "Basket Starfish". At night they open up and start to feed on the really small creepy crawlies drifting in the currents.
If you hold a dive light on them at night it attracts "insects" like a porch light. Really cool thing to see as the star fish tentacles will close over the prey in that area.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 PM

Default Day 14: Dominica

Hi All,
Day 14 began like they all began for me...wake up, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast and go diving....are you getting tired of dive pics yet?!?

Got some different looking sea life for you today:

Do you see the fish?

Here's a closer look; Jimmyb tells me it's a Scorpion Fish:

Here's another really cool fish....do you see it?

How about now? Jimmyb says this is a Frog Fish:

'

Here's me and Andrew "Sharkbait" Brandt:

I can tell you that the fish are VERY ABUNDANT here in Dominica!!!!!

Last edited by Rosie : 04-23-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Here's a video of Mr. Eel...

Ever since I saw Sid Baldwin (friend of Jimmyb and me) stick his head in a bowl like this, I've been trying to get better at my 'breathing' to duplicate it...only took 11 years! Thanks to Sharkbait for being patient and capturing the moment:

From the Cayman Islands 2009 trip: Sid Baldwin

And now Rosie, 2015:

The Divemaster pointed to this and motioned, "Take a picture". This is a sea creature of some sort:

This is a yellow Sea Horse, about 3" long...

Last edited by Rosie : 06-05-2015 at 11:04 AM.

After diving, we had lunch, and this was to be our afternoon of sightseeing with the group. Today was Janet Larsen's Birthday so she and Gene along with Roger & Sue Hansen went sightseeing with the morning tour.

We met our guides Shane & Johnny who took us around the island for several hours. I can't remember everywhere we went but did get pics of some of the signs. The island is truly a rain forest, and you can't see the sun through the trees...Load 'em up!

Previous Hurricane Damage:

Cricket is a BIG sport on the island of Dominica:

Here's the hike to the Gorge....a beautiful walk to get there:

Here's the entrance to the Gorge:

And in goes Cookie!

There is a really cool waterfall inside here...see this video. Scenes from "Pirates of the Caribbean" were filmed here too. We just had a GREAT time inside and were also able to climb up and jump from the waterfall ;-)

Last edited by Rosie : 04-24-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Our guides, Johnny, Shane and Belle:

Next stop was Trafalgar Falls and the Hot Springs:

Belle, Taco, Scoot & Cookie:

Sharkbait!!!!

We then stopped for Rum Punch at the River Rock Cafe & Bar:

We ended the evening with (what turned into) a late dinner at TAO...with Ester Green, whose sister we met in Marathon at the Pizza Hut!! Oh yea....HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANET "BUN" LARSEN!

Last edited by Rosie : 04-24-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Default Day 15: Dominica to Canouan

Hi All, Day 15 started at 0700 (again), and as is the morning routine, I walked out to smell the morning ocean air and was greeted by this view:

Yup...time to leave the island!

We had to be dressed to say goodbye to the main group as they make their way back UP the island chain to Puerto Plata in Dominican Republic then eventually home to the USA. Scoot/Cookie, Shiner/Diddy, Scott Loftin, Moody Blue/Bun, Nordo/Diane, Taco & Belle....WE MISS YOU ALL!!!!!!!! Sharkbait also left with the 'group' at 0815 so he could pickup his girlfriend Crystal in Grenada. She arrived last last night (Wednesday) after an 18 hour day (leaving from Fresno-CA to Dallas to Miami to Grenada).

So after seeing the group off, Tuppergal and I were off to Breakfast. The plan for Roger and I was to leave the hotel for the airport at 1000, be in the air by 11:30 and be in Canouan by 12:30. We arrived to the airport on schedule, just in time to see Cookie/Scoot, Shiner/Diddy and Scott Loftin takeoff from Dominica:

Moody Blue/Bun, Nordo/Diane and Taco/Belle followed by I did not wait at the fence to get their picture...

Thanks to all of THEM for filing flight plans and going through Customs. After doing the paperwork for their six (6) airplanes, our two (2) airplanes were in/out in about 15 minutes. We were on the ramp at the planes in record time. I do want to give special thanks to the airport manager Cecilia as I was able to get her to ask the tower NOT TO CHARGE ME $125 US for landing after hours coming from Martinique the other night after getting fuel ;-)

And I have learned something new in the islands: The bad news is that having an alternator rebuilt in the islands is not such a good idea....the good news is that Sharkbait had a brand new one in his plane, which he left for me. Cookie/Scoot left me a battery in case I needed a jump. It took about 2.5 hours to make 'field' modifications to get Sharkbait's alternator on my plane...once again. Yes, when I get home, I'm buying a new alternator !!!!!

By 1400 (exactly) Roger/Sue were buckled in for startup and ready for the flight to Canouan:

Our time 'off the ground' (according to Canefield Tower) was 1405, and we made a pass by the cruise ship and hotel before climbing to 5,500'. I made sure to contact the French Approach controllers southbound on 121.0 prior to entering their airspace ;-) There were lots of clouds over the islands so not much to see...

In less than 10 minutes, we were off the northern coast of Martinique (France) and I cringed everytime I had to speak with a French Controller. So I just found out that Scoot 'gave me up' so you all read what happened...I was wondering if the French Controllers remembered me from two days before when I two-shipped it to Martinique for fuel only....

Here's what happens to an American when you make a French Controller 'unhappy'... Believe you me, I can't be making this up... this was the first part of my 'spanking' as I tried to land at Martinique for fuel...the second 'spanking' was when they did speak to anyone other than me, it was in French (even though protocol is to use English when an English speaker is in the pattern)....you really do gotta' laugh...

Note to self: Contact French Approach even if not told to do so by the Towered airport you are leaving. If you don't, be prepared to hold out over the ocean...hold for nobody...really...just hold out there till we ask you to come and land...we'll all speak French just to annoy you, you American Pilot...then after we finally give you clearance to land, we'll sick the Gendarmerie (Police) on you...you 'dangerous American pilot' you........... Catch me on the ramp for the full-up Police story ;-)

So where was I....oh yea...we were approaching the northern coast of Martinique in (mere RV) minutes. The clouds were lower on the east side of Martinique at 5,500' so that's where we went:

So I'm trying to stay FAR AWAY from the Martinique Airport (TFFF) and the controller tells us to overfly directly...really...REALLY???!!!???

In the picture above, you can see the approach and departure (does not include the zigging and zagging) into TFFF two days prior.

So I continue to follow Roger/Sue as we fly to Canouan:

Last edited by Rosie : 06-05-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Default Day 15: Dominica to Canouan

The next island ahead is St. Lucia, and the clouds were lower over the west side of the island...so that's were we went...until the next controller told us to turn left 55 degrees and overfly the George Charles (TLPC) airport on St. Lucia. Mind you our on-course heading was 115 degrees...ok...we can do that...IF we can climb up to 7,500'....approved, so up we went;

Once over the airport, I asked for Direct-Canouan (TVSC) and was allowed to turn on-course. This took us over the only airport on St. Vincent (TVSV);

It was time to start down because Bequia is RIGHT next to St. Vincent and Canouan is right next to Bequia. In this picture, you can see Canouan in the distance right below the cloud deck:

The descent took us right over Bequia Airport (TVSB) where Tuppergal took this picture of Roger & Sue:

And you can now make out Canouan better;

Last edited by Rosie : 04-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.