What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nice One Day Project for the Hangar

f1rocket

Well Known Member
The weather hasn't quite warmed up here so I went looking for a little project to occupy some spare time. I've been wanting to put together a white board for the hangar so I could keep track of various time or date sensitive inspections, etc instead of always flipping through the log books and service bulletins. I've seen versions of these before in other hangars so this isn't some explosive new idea, but it turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought it would be and I think it turned out professional looking.

board01.jpg

I went to my local office supply store and found a 18 X 24 white board on sale. My first thought was to just draw some lines on it with permanent marker and write in the categories and be done with it. However, I ran across this paper. It is full-sheet sticky paper that works in my printer. Now the wheels started turning. I did a layout on a single piece of white paper to get all the scales and format finalized. Then I printed them out in full scale and taped them to the board to fine tune the design. This is what I ended up with.

board02.jpg

I had some 3M Blue pinstriping tape in my shop so I used it to draw the lines. The thing I like about this is that it is easily changed. The tape and the labels will easily pull off the board and I can just re-print the new ones and stick them back on. The "LAST" column is either the last date or the last engine hours that task was performed. Both the "HOURS" and "DATE" column refers to the next time this task needs to be completed. Some tasks, like service bulletins, are both time and/or date triggered so this layout supports that.

board03.jpg

Along the bottom, I printed out some common information that I am always digging for like air pressures and serial numbers. I also listed all the fluids that I use in my RV-12. All this information is available in the manuals, logs, or POH and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to check the air in my tires and had to dig out the POH to find the proper pressures.

board04.jpg

It hangs right above my workbench and is easily taken down so I can write on it. All in all, once I had the materials home, it took me about 3 hours to put it together and install it. No doubt I'll have some changes to this over time but I think I'm off to a good start.

more uses for decals

"Along the bottom, I printed out some common information that I am always digging for like air pressures and serial numbers. I also listed all the fluids that I use in my RV-12. All this information is available in the manuals, logs, or POH and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to check the air in my tires and had to dig out the POH to find the proper pressures."

Me too!......but our builder went the extra mile, and put small decals at inconspicuous places like inside the oil door, on the bottom of the wheel pant etc. displaying exactly those pesky numbers that I fail to commit to memory!

and...........awesome maintenance board Randy.....we should all have one!!!

now to create an 'app' for that! :D

I like the stickers idea. I have the same board and I keep a lot of the same info on it (including dispstick markings for different levels in my brake reservoir). But mine warps about 6 inches on one corner as the temps change.

I can never remember proper tire inflation pressures so on my Warrior, I used my Brother label maker to print some inconspicuous labels that I stuck on the wheel pants. Very handy.

"Along the bottom, I printed out some common information that I am always digging for like air pressures and serial numbers. I also listed all the fluids that I use in my RV-12. All this information is available in the manuals, logs, or POH and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to check the air in my tires and had to dig out the POH to find the proper pressures."

Me too!......but our builder went the extra mile, and put small decals at inconspicuous places like inside the oil door, on the bottom of the wheel pant etc. displaying exactly those pesky numbers that I fail to commit to memory!

and...........awesome maintenance board Randy.....we should all have one!!!

now to create an 'app' for that! :D

Back