What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro fairing - min drag

A5555

Well Known Member
I added a gopro fairing using velcro. Check flight showed no indication of becoming loose. Upon first review there is less wobble in the camera because of vortex shedding. It should have less drag. patent pending.... by Mr. Duct Tape and Captain Velcro

IMG_20150329_134420.jpg

IMG_20150329_132952.jpg

IMG_20150329_133022.jpg

Last edited:
Do you notice you need more rudder to yaw? :) You're adding more vertical surface aft of the CG so you should be getting an increase in yaw stability.

Great that it reduced the wobble, now you need to put a small flap on it and add in one of those active servos from the RC world and you have active stabilization.

Excellent experimentation!

I didn't notice any handling difference. direct xwind 10 G20 and bumpy, so not a good day to notice any fine handling differences. it's not rigid. I could disconnect the fairing at the velcro by hand with less than a pound of force if I pushed at the trailing edge. the good news, it didn't fall off.

are you talking about a yaw damper?

Do you notice you need more rudder to yaw? :) You're adding more vertical surface aft of the CG so you should be getting an increase in yaw stability.

Low aspect ratio decreases the lift-curve slope, so there's minimal side force developing with sideslip angle. In other words, it's not effective as a fin.

I'd be more concerned with a tail-low landing.

Dave

That is kinda long...

The Granville Bros (Gee Bee fame) found that a 3-1 ratio of length to width had the least drag vs sfc area. Beech or Boeing found the same thing with engine cowlings. So, your fairing is quite a bit longer than required.

I applaud your ingenuity tho!

Carry on!
Mark

Cool idea and as mentioned previously, I'd shorten it up a bit. Less chance of the Velcro giving way from a side load if you find the need to slip.

Is that balsa?

seems like you'd have a better time with the garmin VIRB over the go pro due to its shape, have you thought about that?

Or maybe a Drift HD Ghost as per attached photo/Users/mikegreene/Desktop/IMG_0627.jpg/Users/mikegreene/Desktop/IMG_0636.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Back