What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight of N367EB

WA85

Well Known Member
On Saturday 7 March 2015, N367EB, my slow build RV-8 s/n 83085 took to the air for the first time. It was nearly five years to the day since I started building it in the living room and garage. It has an Aerosport IO-320D2A with a AFP FM-100 fuel injection system, a Catto 2 blade prop and a complete Dynon Skyview system (10" Skyview, 2 axis A-P, transponder, ICS and Radio). I primed my interior with a rattle can and used Sika Flex for the canopy. The aircraft is set up for Day / Night VFR. Unpainted, it weighed in at 1028 lbs. First flight went well with a few minor issues; slightly heavy LH wing, minor oil leak. Stall was at 48 KIAS and max was at 163 KIAS without wheel pants at 6500 feet. Overall the aircraft is exactly what I intended it to be, light, efficient, cost effective and excellent performance. Overall build cost was just over $45K. I am currently based out of M38 (Hazel Green, AL). I intend to leave it "natural metal finish", with fiberglass pieces painted and put US insignia on it from Fly Boy Accessory's. I have found the VAF forum to be an excellent source of technical information while building my project. Any time I had a problem or question (Freakin Canopy!!!!), I always found enough data or examples of how others have solved various issues to be able to solve my own problems. The Search feature is invaluable. Thank You all who have contributed to this excellent forum, it is a treasure to the RV builders around the world. Eric Bale

Congratulations Eric. I enjoy seeing builders demonstrate that you can build an RV with superior performance without breaking the bank. Good work.

Congrats!

Congratulations Eric! I heard from David Edgemon that you had flown. Great feeling huh? What did you end up with for your test area?

Congratulations, Eric! Sounds like you did a great job. Fly it over to Pryor (KCDU) sometime and let us admire your handiwork! Saturday was a glorious day to fly, especially after the weather we've had.

Finally!

On Saturday 7 March 2015, N367EB, my slow build RV-8 s/n 83085 took to the air for the first time. It was nearly five years to the day since I started building it in the living room and garage. It has an Aerosport IO-320D2A with a AFP FM-100 fuel injection system, a Catto 2 blade prop and a complete Dynon Skyview system (10" Skyview, 2 axis A-P, transponder, ICS and Radio). I primed my interior with a rattle can and used Sika Flex for the canopy. The aircraft is set up for Day / Night VFR. Unpainted, it weighed in at 1028 lbs. First flight went well with a few minor issues; slightly heavy LH wing, minor oil leak. Stall was at 48 KIAS and max was at 163 KIAS without wheel pants at 6500 feet. Overall the aircraft is exactly what I intended it to be, light, efficient, cost effective and excellent performance. Overall build cost was just over $45K. I am currently based out of M38 (Hazel Green, AL). I intend to leave it "natural metal finish", with fiberglass pieces painted and put US insignia on it from Fly Boy Accessory's. I have found the VAF forum to be an excellent source of technical information while building my project. Any time I had a problem or question (Freakin Canopy!!!!), I always found enough data or examples of how others have solved various issues to be able to solve my own problems. The Search feature is invaluable. Thank You all who have contributed to this excellent forum, it is a treasure to the RV builders around the world. Eric Bale

Eric,
Finally a completions/test flight post with two items that used to be the most critical to us Jurassic builders, cost and weight, light in both being good.
It seems that exceeding design values in both categories have, repeat...HAVE been the norm...

Thanks for sharing!
V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org

Last edited:
Eric,
Way to go.
Congratulations on building an awesome flying machine. Your build time is not "slow", but good-especially if you had to balance other life issues.

Happy Landings,
Daddyman

-PAXP-deijE.gif

First attempt at posting a picture

Back