What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Vizion Input Source Switch

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm working on the schematic for my panel at the moment and I'm trying to figure out how to connect up a source select switch to feed the Vizion. Initially I plan to have just the G3X GPS and later on add a 430 or similar.

I have a DP4T switch so I can switch both the RS-232 and the ARINC signals.

I'm assumming that normally I would select the G3X RS-232 interface and let the G3X handle which source it is using. I'm trying to figure out how the ARINC inputs figure into this. Would the ARINC signals go from the 430 to a GAD29 and my switch? Does the Vizion select ARINC if it is present?

Ray - the Vizion installation manual gives a very good description of how this works. The source selector switch is a DPDT toggle switch. I can't speak to this from the G3X perspective but rather from the Grand Rapids perspective.

With a GRT EFIS with A429 interface module, the EFIS is capable of doing flight planning in three dimensions and thus can provide the necessary A429 labels to drive the autopilot in both horizontal and vertical modes (GPSS/GPSV). Likewise, your 430 or similar GPS navigator is capable of providing the same GPSS/GPSV info on its A429 output.

The Vizion is capable of listening to only one A429 source - either the EFIS or the 430. The source selector switch is used to determine which device, EFIS or 430, is providing steering signals to the Vizion autopilot.

The Vizion RS-232 input does not allow for GPSS/GPSV, so no fully coupled approaches. Consider the RS-232 input as a backup nav source, if you will. In this case, you can wire the RS-232 input of your Vizion directly to an appropriate RS-232 output from either your 430 or similar, or from your EFIS if it is capable of providing appropriate position data. You could put a selector switch in the RS232 line if you have multiple sources of GPS info via RS-232, but that's adding yet more layers of complexity.

Do a search on Vizion here and you'll find a recent thread which benefited from some very good input/guidance from Lucas of TruTrak.

Sorry about my tardiness to this thread. :)

You can put a switch on both the RS232 and ARINC inputs to the autopilot. If you have the RS232 set to the G3X, then you want to make sure the ARINC is coming from the G3X as well. However, if you want to have the autopilot to follow steering commands directly from your navigator, you can switch the ARINC to the GPS.

I hope this clears it up some. Basically the G3X interface requires both serial and ARINC.

Back