What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduction to School build

dskogrover

I'm New Here
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to make this sort of post as I'm new to the forum, but I'll give it a go anyways.

I just wanted to introduce myself so I'm not a total stranger as I ask questions in the future.

My name is Michael Groah and I'm a high school automotive and drafting teacher in Tulare California. I built and fly a Pietenpol Aircamper and have helped with a RV8A project in the past. This year I took over a RV6A slider project that had been started by the father of a friend of mine. I was offered the project and decided it would be a great thing to build with my students. There has been great interest by some of the students and they have been having a great time working on the project as well as learning about aviation in general. It's been a great conversation starter. Most of the year they have been working on fixing issues from the previous builders and moving forward where we can. They just finished adding the Anti-Splat Aero "Almost a 14 mod". That mod really added to the comfort of the seating. I highly recommend it. Anyways, we have been moving forward as time and funds allow. If you're interested we have a facebook page that I've been trying to keep updated with our progress:

https://www.facebook.com/TulareUnionRV6A

If you see anything that needs attention let me know. We are learning as we go and have had a few hurtles to overcome from the previous builders.

Thanks for all the help so far and any help in the future as I know I'll have questions. And if you have an engine that you're tripping over and just need to get rid of it cheap let me know!:)

Welcome Michael!

I can't believe I beat Mike S to welcoming you!!!! :eek:

Looks like a wonderful project. Can't wait for more updates!

v/r,
dr

Welcome to VAF!

Michael,
welcome.gif
To VAF.

Doug may have beat me, but I got the cool welcome smiley :D

Good to have you aboard.

My hat off to you, sir! Building interest, confidence, and knowledge in our young people will save the future of aviation!

Again, welcome! Having worked with a couple of school builds, I can tell you that you are in for a real treat. I can almost guarantee you will have as much fun, and learn as much, as the kids will. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, or if you have questions. BTW, post #5 comes from our first builder/student, now working on his A&P. Send me a Private Message if you would like to talk.

Bob

I just wanted to introduce myself so I'm not a total stranger as I ask questions in the future.

My name is Michael Groah and I'm a high school automotive and drafting teacher in Tulare California.

Michael,
No such thing as a total stranger here...just friends we haven't met yet, so I'll add my welcome to VAF, my friend!

Looking at your Facebook page, it looks like you've got quite a program going with your kids. I hope they all stick around to see it through, and that some of them (like some of Bob Kelly's kids) decide to make aviation their life. Wishing you the best of luck going forward!

Thank you everyone for the very kind welcome. My students and I are having a great time building and discussing aviation. I look forward to becoming part of this VAF community. Thanks!

Well, enielsen to answer your question.... we still don't have a finish kit so if anyone has done upgrades such as wheels, brakes or anything else and has the stock Vans ones laying around we could use them!

Back