What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What wire to where?

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I am starting to do an upgrade to the panel on our RV 10, and while some of the new pieces are simply "plug and play", others require a major re-configuring of the avionics wiring.

I feel totally confidant in my ability to run wires, and pretty much lost in my ability to determine where to put the ends of those wires:confused: Just too many little boxes of magic, and some of the wizards that live in the little boxes do not speak the same language, or play well with others. :eek:

I had Stein do a bit of work a few years ago when I traded a simple intercom for an audio panel, and second radio------Steinair made up a wiring harness for the new stuff and all was nicely done, and labeled.

The other thing they did was to include a schematic of what wire went where.

As I started on the new project, I remembered having the schematic from the last panel work, and wondered if Steinair would just make me the drawing, and then I would have a "road map" for all the new stuff I have sitting around the hangar.

Sure enough, a couple phone calls and a few emails later, I have the drawing sitting here in front of me, and it is right up there with sliced bread:D

I got three copies, one to markup and make notes on before I start to do the actual installation, and another to file away with all the correct work I actually end up doing--------contractor types will know these as "as built" plans. Plus I got a spare just in case.......

All in all, this was the cheapest part of the entire panel upgrade so far;)

For anybody out there considering doing their own panel work, consider having a professional make up a wiring schematic/drawing for you.

Last edited:
AMEN, I'm currently on version 4 or 5 of the drawing! I emailed my local copy shop the file and they can print it out big so I could plan and make notes right on the diagram. Once I got down to wiring the real deal I taped the diagram to my wing where I could see it from the cockpit. Reminds me, I need to email StienAir some "final" changes to my last version!

Back