What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight after surgery

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Flew the Cessna today for the first time since multi-level spinal fusion surgery nearly four months ago. No noticeable degradation of skills, but significant loss of G tolerance in one 2 G pull-up. I'm still not strong enough to fly solo (endurance wise), and I've got lots of PT ahead, but I'm no longer completely earthbound. As we were parking the plane, visiting F-22s and F-16s were landing.

Not planning to get back into the RV-8 till I'm comfortable in the Cessna.

PS. Five level spinal fusion surgery makes the short list of most invasive surgeries with longest recovery times.

Ouch. I say again, Ouch.

Here's hoping the G-tolerance comes back as things heal. Back injuries aren't any fun!

Hi Ed,

Glad you are back at it---having gone through 3 levels of lumbar fusion I can safely say I know 3/5ths of what you have gone through. Best advice is to keep moving to gain back the max function possible. The g force sensitivity will be reduced as the tissue inflamation resolves.

All the best for a speedy and full recovery!

Cheers,

db

Flew the Cessna today for the first time since multi-level spinal fusion surgery nearly four months ago. No noticeable degradation of skills, but significant loss of G tolerance in one 2 G pull-up.

Glad to hear you are getting back at it. G tolerance is mostly a matter of cardiovascular conditioning. Once your surgeon and PT clear you for it, start extending your cv exercises. They will probably limit you to walking and stationary biking at first. You can likely build up to better G tolerance that you had pre-op.

Congratulations Ed. I used to do that surgery and know how difficult the recovery can be. You're obviously a good man. I hope your comfort and endurance increase rapidly and that you're soon back in the -8.

Congratulations Ed! I remember my first flight after getting my medical back following emergency open heart surgery; what an incredible feeling that was, and I'm sure it was much the same for you.

I have helped many people rehab after back surgery; I would imagine the biggest barrier to getting back into the 8 will be literally getting into the 8. Requires a little more flexibility and mobility than opening the door and climbing into a Cessna. With the option of the Cessna available to you, you at least have the ability to get back in the air while you are recovering to that point. 5 levels is a lot (well, it's all of them in the lumbar spine, so technically you couldn't do any more than that). I would advise really working on core stability and technique for bending, lifting, and working down low without a lot of movement; because your lumbar spine won't move at all any more, there will be a great deal of movement stress put on the lower thoracic spine. Good stability and technique will really help to reduce that stress and keep the lower thoracic spine from becoming the next trouble spot. Sounds like you are already working with a PT (good!), so I'm sure they will guide you well.

Be patient; as you know, you've had major surgery and recovery does take time. As I say to my rehab patients, "Let's take the time to do this right, because we only want to do it ONCE". You'll be back in the RV in no time.

L1 - L5 (vertebra, not airplanes)

Thanks, all, and good guess, Gerry. All of the lumbar vertebra were fused.

Actually, the MRI suggested that fusion from T10 to the pelvis was indicated, but my doctor suggested lesser surgery for a better quality of life. Getting back in the air was a huge boost to the psyche, the othe being a few weeks ago when the PT progressed to strengthening.

Next big milestone will be when I can sleep through the night.

Back