What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Richard van Grunsven article in February 2015 EAA Sport Aviation

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
Richard van Grunsven (everyone knows him, right? :rolleyes: ) is author of an article that appears this month in Sport Aviation. I haven't read it yet, but the topic is the history of Experimental aviation. Should be good reading.

I read the article and always enjoy what he has to say.

It is typical for him to downplay (to the point of almost not mentioning) the role Van's Aircraft has played in the evolution of this industry. Has there been any one person or company more influential in the last 40 years?

While a small, niche segment geared towards a group of dedicated enthusiasts I still marvel at the growth of Van's and the changes largely the result of their efforts as a business case worth studying.

I struggle to see where this is all headed but suspect that some breakthrough in power density of battery technology driven by automotive applications will usher in the next big chapter in our sport somewhere down the road.

Who the next Van is among us?

Last edited:
George Bogardus

At one of the early "homecomings", when they were still at Van's house at Sunset Skypark, George Bogardus was the guest speaker for the dinner on Saturday night. I don't think I quite realized at the time what a unique oppor- tunity it was - but looking back on it, it was pretty special to listen to, and interact with the "founder" of our sport.

HFS

As I was reading the article a couple of days ago I thought to myself that sounds like something Van would write. Went back to look at the author...sure enough.

... and talk

Ed -

Do you remember most of the audience "sneaking" out, beginning around what seemed like the 2-hr mark? I should have left when I had the chance early on, but I stuck it out, and in the end, am glad that I did.

David Howe

Back