What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch v3.00 Software Available

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are very pleased to announce new G3X Touch software v3.00 is now available. As usual, the software can be downloaded for free from our website here.

A complete list of changes is included on our website and at the bottom of this posting. But here are some additional details for the key new features of this release.

Connext Capability

G3X Touch v3.00 adds the benefits of Connext cockpit connectivity. Pilots are offered the convenience of flight planning on a tablet using Garmin Pilot? and the simplicity of wirelessly transferring flight plans via Bluetooth? to the following equipment:

• G3X Touch internal flight plan
  • GNS 430W or 530W (V5.20 or later system software)
  • All GTN series navigators (V5.13 or later system software)

A G3X Touch system with a GDL 39/39R ADS-B traffic and weather receiver shares GPS, attitude, traffic and weather data with a mobile device for display using Garmin Pilot?. You can have much of the the same data displayed on your phone or tablet that is being used on your panel mount displays.

Please note that full support for Connext will be completed through an update to Garmin Pilot? software expected later this month. Here is a Garmin Pilot? screenshot showing the Connext status page:

IMG_0012%5B1%5D.PNG

Garmin Pilot? can be set to synchronize to the flight plan in the panel mount avionics, or nominate the flight plan as illustrated in the next two screenshots:

IMG_0011%5B1%5D.PNG

Here the G3X Touch system has received the nominated flight plan which can now be activated, stored, or ignored.

236.bmp

User Defined Gauges

We are excited to add a higher level of flexibility when configuring gauges for the system. This unlocks the potential for monitoring any signal that is electrically compatible with an open input on the GEA 24. For example, if you have an electronic ignition timing signal, this new capability allows you to customize a timing advance gauge. You can create a custom name, configure color bands, calibrate and even add a tick mark per your personal preference.

ADVDegSetup.png

AdvDegCalibrate.png

New COM Tuning Interfaces

Customers have been asking for it, and we're listening! We?ve always supported the ability to send standby frequencies to panel mount radios like the GTR 225 and GNC 255, as well as supporting complete control of the GTR 20 and GTR 200 comm radios. This software release adds support for complete comm radio control for more Garmin panel mount equipment including the GTN series, GTR 225 and GNC 255. This change will let you tune and flip-flop the active and standby comm frequencies, change the volume, and toggle SQ and MON modes on the above radios, all from your G3X Touch display.

Please note a GTN, GTR 225 or GNC 255 software update will also be required and we anticipate those software updates will be available later this year. Additionally, this interface will require a bi-directional RS-232 interface between the unit being tuned and your G3X Touch display. Wiring and configuration guidance will be documented in the next revision of the G3X installation manual. Or feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] if you need immediate guidance for your installation.

Image8.jpg

Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

• Add support for additional Connext features
  • Add support for oil pressure, fuel pressure, manifold pressure, fuel flow, and RPM user-defined sensors
  • Add support for miscellaneous temperature, pressure, and analog voltage measurement user-customized gauges
  • Add support for turbine engine gauges
  • Add remote control of GTN comm radio via MapMX RS-232 interface support for a future GTN software update
  • Add forward and return flow display when calibrating differential fuel flow
  • Add ability to switch between internal and external flight plan source from direct-to page
  • Add compass arc to terrain map page
  • Improve map display of terrain awareness shading when the aircraft is on the ground
  • Improve config mode audio volume test
  • Improve fuel flow display with noisy signals
  • Change flight director GS and GP modes to allow capture from both above and below
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.20

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Geez....and I just downloaded and installed 2.90 a couple of days ago!! Can't keep up.... :)

I am assuming the following is actually a couple of different discrete statements ...

Connext Capability: G3X Touch v3.00 adds the benefits of Connext cockpit connectivity. Pilots are offered the convenience of flight planning on a tablet using Garmin Pilot? and the simplicity of wirelessly transferring flight plans via Bluetooth? to the following equipment:
G3X Touch internal flight plan
GNS 430W or 530W
All GTN series navigators

Can G3Xpert confirm my assumptions ..
  1. G3X Touch now has integrated Connext capability for receiving VFR flight plans from Garmin Pilot.
  2. GNS 430W and 530W require the FlightStream 210 to enable Connext capability
  3. GTN series navigators require the FlightStream 210 to enable Connext capability
  4. G3X Touch can not transfer flight plan information to GNS or GTN series navigator

Am I correct with these ?

Thanks.

I am assuming the following is actually a couple of different discrete statements ...

1. G3X Touch now has integrated Connext capability for receiving VFR flight plans from Garmin Pilot.
  3. GTN series navigators require the FlightStream 210 to enable Connext capability
  4. G3X Touch can not transfer flight plan information to GNS or GTN series navigator

Thanks.

Here's my understanding:

1-3: The G3X Touch basically has the flightstream capabilities built into it. No extra flightstream box required.
4: This is what they keep telling me, but I keep hoping it will change to allow this!

• Add support for miscellaneous temperature, pressure, and analog voltage measurement user-customized gauges

Thanks,
Brian

Great update guys! Keep up the good work!!

One question about the custom gauge feature: Will I be able to use this to gain what's basically an extra few discrete inputs? For example, I have electric cowl flaps. Can I run a line to an analog input, and at 0v, display the gauge for cowl flaps as closed (and in the green), but then at >11 volts, show the cowl flaps as open an in the caution (yellow) range?

Thanks.
  1. No, not quite limited to VFR information. The Garmin Pilot? application has the ability to load things like SIDs, STARs, and airways to it's fight plan. All of these items can be transferred to the G3X Touch system or to the GTN. Procedures that are sent to G3X Touch in this manner will be added to the flight plan as a series of waypoints such as VORs and intersections (i.e. not the actual procedure). It would certainly be useful for situational awareness, but of course you would be following signals from the IFR navigator if you were actually flying IFR. Please note Garmin Pilot? does not have the ability to load approaches. Approaches must be selected on the IFR navigator.
  2. No, a Flight Stream unit is not required. All G3X Touch displays have built-in BT capability that is used to connect to Garmin Pilot?.
  3. Same answer as 2.
  4. Correct, G3X Touch cannot directly transfer flight plans to the GTN. However, as noted before we are adding the control of COM functions, so we are listening :).
Thanks,
Brian

Great update guys! Keep up the good work!!

One question about the custom gauge feature: Will I be able to use this to gain what's basically an extra few discrete inputs? For example, I have electric cowl flaps. Can I run a line to an analog input, and at 0v, display the gauge for cowl flaps as closed (and in the green), but then at >11 volts, show the cowl flaps as open an in the caution (yellow) range?

Yes, one possible solution is to create a custom gauge and do exactly what you are saying. Simply set the color bands and corresponding alerting so it annunciates when you want it to. And you could do this with any unused input on the GEA that is electrically compatible. If you don't want to see the gauge full time, select the "HIDE" option in config mode to ensure it will only be shown on the full EIS page.

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks Brian for the answers.

On #2 and #3 I was referring to the GNS and GTN units requirements to receive from Garmin Pilot.

I think a number of us are "hoping" for a way to more easily enter flight flans into our certified GPS units directly from the G3X Touch interface. (probably a a stretch given the generation divide in the technologies)

Thanks Brian for the answers.

On #2 and #3 I was referring to the GNS and GTN units requirements to receive from Garmin Pilot.

I think a number of us are "hoping" for a way to more easily enter flight flans into our certified GPS units directly from the G3X Touch interface. (probably a a stretch given the generation divide in the technologies)

Yep, we have you covered. G3X Touch uses it's built-in BT capability to act like the Flight Stream device. So if you have a GNS 430W/530W or GTN series navigator, you will be able to use the display as the access point and it will route the flight plan information over to the GNS 430W/530W or GTN from Garmin Pilot.

If you are installing a GNS 430W/530W or GTN series navigator, there is no reason to ever install a Flight Stream unit with a G3X Touch system.

Thanks,
Brian

G3X Touch uses it's built-in BT capability to act like the Flight Stream device ...you will be able to use the display as the access point and it will route the flight plan information over to the GNS 430W/530W or GTN from Garmin Pilot.

I updated the G3X Touch to v3.00 and confirned it updated and that it also updated the GDL39 to v4.2.

It was very easy to "send" a flight plan from the Garmin Pilot App on my iPhone to the "internal GPS" on the G3X Touch. (the only odd behavior was that it converted my FAA recognized private airport to a user waypoint). I edited the flight plan on the G3X Touch to remove the user waypoint and add my airport back in. I then cleared the flight plan on my iPhone and tested "load from" the G3X Touch to the Garmin Pilot App. Again, it worked easily and it maintained my local airport. When I repeated the "send" plan back to the G3X Touch again, it again converted my private airport to a user waypoint. Not a big deal but an interesting anomaly.

QUESTION: How do I transfer a flight plan from the Garmin Pilot App through the G3X Touch to a GNS 400W ?

I tried a few different configurations of both the G3X Touch and the GNS400W but did not find a way to get the flight plan to load into the GNS400W.

BTW: The GNS400W is working great as the external GPS source for IFR flight plans and approach procedures.

Last edited:
I updated the G3X Touch to v3.00 and confirned it updated and that it also updated the GDL39 to v4.2.

It was very easy to transfer a flight plan from the Garmin Pilot App on my iPhone to the "internal GPS" on the G3X Touch. (the only odd behavior was that it converted my FAA recognized private airport to a user waypoint).

QUESTION: How do I transfer a flight plan from the Garmin Pilot App through the G3X Touch to a GNS 400W ?

I tried a few different configurations of both the G3X Touch and the GNS400W but did not find a way to get the flight plan to load into the GNS400W. If there is specific wiring required beyond what is needed for using the GNS400W as an external GPS source (which is working nicely for IFR procedures), please let me know and I will validate that against my installation.

Glen,

Just so you don't pull your hair out trying to get it to work, there is additional wiring required and you must also have specific firmware as well.

I can't post links to all that info right now but I am sure TeamX will respond...

Glen,

Just so you don't pull your hair out trying to get it to work, there is additional wiring required and you must also have specific firmware as well.

I can't post links to all that info right now but I am sure TeamX will respond...

Hello Glen,

Brian is correct.

You will need GNS 400W/500W SW V5.20 or later software and the Connext serial link between the GDU 4XX and the GNS unit shown on page 21-14 of the Rev. P G3X Installation Manual.

For the GTN 6XX/7XX you will need V5.13 or later and the Connext serial link wiring shown on page 21-16 of the Rev. P G3X Installation Manual.

Also, please note that the original posting at the top of this thread states that full support for Connext will be completed through an update to Garmin Pilot? software expected later this month.

There is a significant amount of new software required for G3X Touch, GNS, GTN, and Garmin Pilot devices to make this work.

Thanks,
Steve

Understood.

Assuming the exact serial ports on the GNS400W and GDU460 are required as documented and "other available ports" can not be substituted, I've got a number of port swaps to make in order to comply with the requirements. I can do that in the near future.

My GNS400W is at v5.10. Where do I find a full list of available locations where the unit can be updated to 5.20?

Brian, (g3xpert)

Is there any plan to allow Garmin Pilot to transfer flight routes to the 796 since it also has a BT reciever the same way it can talk to the g3x?

Matt

Understood.

Assuming the exact serial ports on the GNS400W and GDU460 are required as documented and "other available ports" can not be substituted, I've got a number of port swaps to make in order to comply with the requirements. I can do that in the near future.

My GNS400W is at v5.10. Where do I find a full list of available locations where the unit can be updated to 5.20?

Hello Glen,

You may use other available serial ports on your GDU460 and GPS400W to complete the Connext wiring. The serial ports shown in the installation manual are just one example.

You may search for Garmin Aviation dealers in your area with this link:

http://www.garmin.com/us/support/

Let us know if you have additional questions.
Thanks,
Steve

Please note a GTN, GTR 225 or GNC 255 software update will also be required and we anticipate those software updates will be available later this year.

Brian, Steve, thank you for your incredible responsiveness to users and driving such an update cadence.

Sending flight plans to my GTN is a key feature for me. So we just installed the extra bi-directional RS-232 cable. Is there any way to test it before the GTN software update is released?

And can you say whether "later this year" is a target Q2/Q3/Q4?

flight plan from garmin pilot to g3xtouch

It was very easy to "send" a flight plan from the Garmin Pilot App on my iPhone to the "internal GPS" on the G3X Touch. (the only odd behavior was that it converted my FAA recognized private airport to a user waypoint). I edited the flight plan on the G3X Touch to remove the user waypoint and add my airport back in. I then cleared the flight plan on my iPhone and tested "load from" the G3X Touch to the Garmin Pilot App. Again, it worked easily and it maintained my local airport. When I repeated the "send" plan back to the G3X Touch again, it again converted my private airport to a user waypoint. Not a big deal but an interesting anomaly.

I tried a few different configurations of both the G3X Touch and the GNS400W but did not find a way to get the flight plan to load into the GNS400W.

BTW: The GNS400W is working great as the external GPS source for IFR flight plans and approach procedures.

Glen,

I have 3.0 on my g3x touch and I have the most recent firmware on my gdl39r. When I try to get my phone to connect to the g3x touch it says:

pfd config module not apple compatible

So I can not even get my phone to connect to the g3x touch much less transfer a flight plan from garmin pilot to the g3xtouch. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jason

Glen,

I have 3.0 on my g3x touch and I have the most recent firmware on my gdl39r. When I try to get my phone to connect to the g3x touch it says:

So I can not even get my phone to connect to the g3x touch much less transfer a flight plan from garmin pilot to the g3xtouch. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jason

Contact G3Xpert. They will fix you up.

Glen,

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Page 2-7 of the Rev. Q G3X Installation Manual explains that a newer configuration module with an Apple required integrated circuit is required to be used in the backshell of the PFD1 G3X Touch display if you wish to use Connext capability with an Apple iOS device. Just as an FYI, we also had to receive Apple certification for the GDU 450/455/460/465 to be able to communicate in this manner to Apple devices. None of this is required for Android devices.

To test for the installation of the newer Apple iOS compatible configuration module, enter configuration mode, select the System Information page, highlight PFD1, press Menu, and run the Apple compatibility test.

We will provide a free upgrade to anyone with an older style configuration module that needs one. Just send us an email with your shipping information, and we will get a new one on the way.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
G3X Touch to 430w Flight Plan movement via Connext

Yep, we have you covered. G3X Touch uses it's built-in BT capability to act like the Flight Stream device. So if you have a GNS 430W/530W or GTN series navigator, you will be able to use the display as the access point and it will route the flight plan information over to the GNS 430W/530W or GTN from Garmin Pilot.

If you are installing a GNS 430W/530W or GTN series navigator, there is no reason to ever install a Flight Stream unit with a G3X Touch system.

Thanks,
Brian

I know I'm quoting a 2 year old post, but I'm still not fully understanding the Connext capability with regard to FPL's.

I've got a G3X touch and a 430w, both with up to date software. I can create or edit a FPL on the Android tablet with Pilot, and it updates to both the G3X and the 430w (which requires acceptance of the imported FPL, of course). I can then modify the FPL using the 430w, and it will flow back to the G3X and the Android.

Here's the question: If I don't have the tablet turned on or even in the picture at all, should I be able to create a FPL on the G3X and send to the 430w? I can't find a way to do this. I'd REALLY like to have the G3X be the "data entry" point, with updates to the FPL's going to the 430w (for acceptance, as usual) and the tablet, when it is on.

Is there something I'm missing?

GPS source

I think you need to switch to the G3X as the gps source on the G3X flight plan page, edit or create the flight plan and send it to the navigator.

That is how I have done it.

Mark

I think you need to switch to the G3X as the gps source on the G3X flight plan page, edit or create the flight plan and send it to the navigator.

That is how I have done it.

Mark

Mark, thanks. It is the sending part that I'm stuck at. It would seem to be an incorrect or missing setup, but the fact that FPL's go from a tablet through the G3X to the 430 and vice versa seems to indicate otherwise. This transferring back and forth implies that the G3X is in external mode. If I select internal, the existing FPL is obliterated (but is still in the 430). If I initially power up, select internal, put a FPL in, there is no option to "upload" to the 430 that I can find. Simply switching to external again obliterates the FPL that was in the G3X.

Sending VFR flight plans to GNS 430W

Mark, thanks. It is the sending part that I'm stuck at. It would seem to be an incorrect or missing setup, but the fact that FPL's go from a tablet through the G3X to the 430 and vice versa seems to indicate otherwise. This transferring back and forth implies that the G3X is in external mode. If I select internal, the existing FPL is obliterated (but is still in the 430). If I initially power up, select internal, put a FPL in, there is no option to "upload" to the 430 that I can find. Simply switching to external again obliterates the FPL that was in the G3X.

Hello Alex,

It is probably best to contact us directly at [email protected] so we can work with you more efficiently, but we will try here.

First, make sure your software is up-to-date. V5.10 is the latest for the G3X Touch system and you need GNS 430W V5.20 or later for this capability.

Next, the GNS 430W needs to be wired to the PFD per page 24-16 of the Rev. AA G3X Installation Manual which includes a dedicated Connext interface. You probably already have this type of installation since you mention that the portable device can send/receive flight plans to/from the 430W.

With that in place, simply go to the flight plan page on your PFD, make sure Internal flight planning is selected, enter a flight plan, then push the Menu button. You should see a button on the Flight Plan Options page with the blue Connext symbol labeled "Send to GNS" or "Send to GTN" for those with a GTN. Press that button to send the Internal VFR flight plan to the GNS 430W.

There also seems to be some confusion regarding "Internal" versus "External" flight planning.

Use Internal flight planning for the most efficient flight planning (using the big touch screen) when operating VFR. As an added convenience, you may send the VFR flight plan to the GNS 430W anytime you like to keep it in sync, or to quickly enter the simple flight plan prior to changing to External flight planning for IFR operation. Again, select Menu on the Flight Plan page to gain access to the "Send to GNS" button.

Once you switch to External IFR flight planning, you should stick with that and make subsequent changes on the IFR navigator.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Alex,

It is probably best to contact us directly at [email protected] so we can work with you more efficiently, but we will try here.

First, make sure your software is up-to-date. V5.10 is the latest for the G3X Touch system and you need GNS 430W V5.20 or later for this capability.

Next, the GNS 430W needs to be wired to the PFD per page 24-16 of the Rev. AA G3X Installation Manual which includes a dedicated Connext interface. You probably already have this type of installation since you mention that the portable device can send/receive flight plans to/from the 430W.

With that in place, simply go to the flight plan page on your PFD, make sure Internal flight planning is selected, enter a flight plan, then push the Menu button. You should see a button on the Flight Plan Options page with the blue Connext symbol labeled "Send to GNS" or "Send to GTN" for those with a GTN. Press that button to send the Internal VFR flight plan to the GNS 430W.

There also seems to be some confusion regarding "Internal" versus "External" flight planning.

Use Internal flight planning for the most efficient flight planning (using the big touch screen) when operating VFR. As an added convenience, you may send the VFR flight plan to the GNS 430W anytime you like to keep it in sync, or to quickly enter the simple flight plan prior to changing to External flight planning for IFR operation. Again, select Menu on the Flight Plan page to gain access to the "Send to GNS" button.

Once you switch to External IFR flight planning, you should stick with that and make subsequent changes on the IFR navigator.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thanks. Wiring and config is as per the install manual, although some 232 port numbers are different. I need to find the way to get to step 3 below from the user's guide:

"Creating an active flight plan using the G3X Touch:
1) Touch the Page Navigation Bar.
2) Touch Active FPL.
3) If an external navigator is configured, touch FPL Source > Internal."

Yes, I've been confusing external gps vs internal, as I've not seen the FPL source choice yet.

As an aside, can these steps be done if neither gps (460 or 430) has a gps lock (i.e., in the hangar)? Just makes testing more convenient...

I'll poke around some more. Again, thanks for the help.

Back