What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crankshaft Seal Tool 5209

andyrv

Well Known Member
Had the unfortunate experience of a leaking crankshaft seal this month but wanted to recommend a tool I found a while back. The ATS crankshaft seal tool 5209 worked great on my Superior IO-360 crankshaft. This tool sells for $70 instead of the Lycoming version which sells for about $950.

As others have said on here most of the work is cleaning, prep, and getting the sealer (Dow 737) in right places and not in the wrong places. Stretching the seal with this tool was no big deal.

I bought mine at Skygeek but ATS also sells them direct.

Andy

I have a small but pesky oil leak I suspect is from the crankshaft seal
I have no experience using this tool but I did make it through my plane build. Is this something that i could reasonably expect to use successfully on my own?
Thanks
Erich

I replaced the crankshaft seal on my IO-36-A3B6D after about 200 hours. I didn't actually use any special tools other than a plastic grocery bag over the flange to help slide the new seal over.

The trick is to get the old one out and CAREFULLY remove the old glue without scratching anything, but I just used the normal tools anyone would have (pliers, screwdrivers, etc).

YMMV, but I don't think this job is a huge deal .....

I did not use a tool also when I replaced mine and found it was not hard to do. I watched a YouTube video before I did mine. I do recall reading somewhere a year or two ago about how to make your own tool for a couple bucks out of PVC electrical conduit but of course can not find it now. I used a 1 gallon Zip-Lock freezer bag over the flange for protection, softened up the seal in hot water for EZ stretch, worked it over the flange with the help of round shaft screwdrivers, then let it rest and shrink back up a day before I installed it.

Yes. You can do it.

Erich,

Not that bad of a job. I used the Lycoming instructions posted above. The instructions do reference using either Dow Corning 737 or Pliobond 20 sealants. I did find a few postings online that referenced leaks from people that used Pliobond so I ordered the Dow 737 which takes 24 hours to cure so it makes it a 2 day job. No leaks so far on mine.

I probably spent 45 minutes to an hour cleaning up the old glue without scratching the surface of the crankshaft. Installing the seal, spring and glue was probably 30 minutes. Probably could have made it work without the tool but I'm glad I have it now. Of course those times don't include removing or installing the prop.

I also replaced the O-ring in my Hartzell CS prop (Aircraft Spruce has them) while it was off along with a new alternator belt. Very small amount of leakage on the front of the flywheel but the o-ring should fix that.

Dow 737 is not the easiest sealant to find but Skygeek has it as well as MSC.

Andy

Erich,

Not that bad of a job. I used the Lycoming instructions posted above. The instructions do reference using either Dow Corning 737 or Pliobond 20 sealants. I did find a few postings online that referenced leaks from people that used Pliobond so I ordered the Dow 737 which takes 24 hours to cure so it makes it a 2 day job. No leaks so far on mine.
Andy

The Pliobond glues the seal to the case.... If there was a leak after installation, I would expect improper handling of the seal during installation and damage to the sealing surface.

Back