What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horn Conection

lwfussell

My elevator horns are drilled and mounted to the fixed bearing. It took 3 washers on each side of the bearing. The plans call for the connection to the push tube bearing with a AN3-10 bolt. The issue is that the two horns are about an inch or so apart and a -10 bolt is way too short. If I use a longer bolt I will have to make bushings so that the horn is not under stress. This looks correct but was wondering if the plans are wrong and if others have had to use the same connection setup? Is the AN3 bolt with bushing on each side strong enough considering the added length?

Thanks,

Larry

Spacers

Here's mine.
It's been to 220+KT in VNE testing and still attached.
Pete.
elevhornswi6.jpg

AN3-14A

Larry,
DRW 27A Centre and slightly low, shows a note indicating that the Elev Pushrod is attached to the Horns with a AN3-14A and to add washers or Spacer to suit.
Pete.

Peter,

I'm sure it's none of my business, and probably the angle of the photo, but the gap between your elevator left horn and the surrounding deck piece looks very small. There's probably not much flex in that area, but it's certainly not an item you want to get stuck.

Peter, I'm assuming that pic is from the build process and not after the 220 kt. VNE testing. The nut on the bolt through the center bearing appears to not be tight. But then again, there appears to be other bolts and nuts missing as well.....

Speak up.

Hey Steve,
Anything you see that might be a safety issue, SPEAK UP.
In this case it is an illusion created by the oblique angle from which the pic was taken. The elev horns are parallel and so are the sides of the opening in the deck, so the clearance is constant around 1/4".
The big problem I had was that the elev horns were not symmetrical. The Left was longer (actually lower) than the Right. And I drilled the Left one first and then discovered I had an edge distance problem on the Right. After consultation with Vans, I was able to file the pilot holes I had drilled, upwards to maintain the edge distance.
Ever tried to file Chromoly. I had diamond files and even the took an age.
Advise you to check before drilling.
Pete.

elevhornassyip2.jpg

Last edited:
52Pop said:
Peter, I'm assuming that pic is from the build process and not after the 220 kt. VNE testing. The nut on the bolt through the center bearing appears to not be tight. But then again, there appears to be other bolts and nuts missing as well.....
It's a construction shot. I noticed the holes for the missing elevator stop.

Torqued?

Allan,
I think I tightened it!
There was some drinking at photography time
Actually, I estimate I had the Stab/elev on/off another five times before flying.
And before flying all fittings where checked for Yellow 'Torque Seal'. Re-assuring stuff, Torque Seal.

Pete.
stellarq0.jpg

Alert.

Boy. Everybody is alert today.
Spot on Bob. Construction shot.
Pete.
PS. Like your NPR news Bob, which we have played over our own ABC (Australian Broadcast Commision) radio Down Under. Excellent coverage and comments.
Pete

Back