What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GA Protection Act update

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I was able to sit down with Rep. Todd Rokita (author of the GA Protection Act) while in Washington this week and got a little update on the legislation we all are hoping for. It is encouraging, even if the wheels move slowly. He says the FAA has written rules to reflect the changes, so implementation could go quickly, and that the legislation might not even need to pass as the FAA could enact them anyway. Also, I gather the change in leadership of the Senate might play a positive role in the process, although this has support from both parties. No dates, however.

I came away with the feeling we have a strong supporter in Rep. Rokita. This is a man who loves and understands flying. I can't wait to get him up in an RV!

Bob

Nice positive news Bob - but remember that the FAA Administrator said that their rule change would be out for review before the end of last year, and now it isn't going to hit the streets until April...maybe. The government is very, very good at running out the clock, and that is the game they are playing. Take it from someone that lived in that world for decades.

Last edited:
Legislation is not the quick route. After it passes the FAA still has to act. Look at the UAV fiasco. Congress gave them a dead line to enact rules and they seem to not care they miss them. No accountability or consequences
What would help is for legislation to give a date that the FAA needs to act by with a statement that if they miss the date funding is withheld and/or a general rule of all 3rd class medicals are not required.
Pressure needs to be maintained on all fronts and never feel comfortable that it is going to happen. Press, press, press is the only way anything will be changed. We have the ball moving down the field but plenty of places still for a fumble.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the actual FAA proposed rule? If it's anything like what was floated a few years ago, it would still be far too restrictive (180 hp, day only, etc). The proposed legislation (with an improvement of the removal of the VFR limit) would be much better; basically any non-commercial flight of anything short of something as big as a Caravan or King Air.

Has anyone seen the actual FAA proposed rule? If it's anything like what was floated a few years ago, it would still be far too restrictive (180 hp, day only, etc). The proposed legislation (with an improvement of the removal of the VFR limit) would be much better; basically any non-commercial flight of anything short of something as big as a Caravan or King Air.

That will never happen... No chance :)

Back