What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA into an existing RV-4?

riobison

Well Known Member
I'm considering installing one of the AOA systems into my RV4. I would probably mount the indicator in the center of the canopy on the lip. This would save cutting into a panel that is already full and would still look neat.

Would anybody have any recommendations on what system to buy or not
too buy?

Between using ports on the top and bottom of the wing that could allow moisture in, leading edge vanes similar to a conventional stall Warner, probes and hinged type wing similar to the airliners there are many choices.

Considering the plane is already finished and I had bought it built and flying.

How difficult will it be to try to run the plastic lines from the wing back to the cabin? I'm thinking that's going to be the most difficult part.

Thanks

Tim

I recommend this unit: http://www.ackemma.com/index.html

I installed it on a Mooney and it works great. Rip, the developer, is a great help and you don't mess with the pitot. Installation is simple because there are no tubes to run and the display is very small but easily seen and used. I know it isn't one of the better known units but I'm telling you it is a great option at a great price and I highly recommend it.

If you call Rip, tell him I sent you. Even though I have no interest in the company I believe in the product.

We're very happy with the AFS AoA Pro units we have installed in a couple of our RV's. It took probably a day's work to neatly do the install in each - the RV-3 being the latest. Ours use the top and bottom ports, along with pitot and static, but I think the latest versions will work with an AoA sensing pitot probe if you don't like the tip ports (we have never found water in ours).

We also love the AoA in our EFIS's, but it looks like you are looking for something standalone.

Paul

I'm getting out to the hanger today and will verify the pitot tube that is on the plane.

Yes, a standalone system for now. It would be nice to upgrade to a EFIS system with the AOA but that I'm thinking would be a bigger project that would probably drag into the summer months and cut into valuable flying time.

Tim

Hello Kevin

Looking at the Pitot tube it does not look like a blade type from Piper nor a tube type. Looks like a heated Pitot tube from Cessna or similar.

Thanks

Tim

AFS Pro

I'll second the AFS pro system.

Love it and installed it about 4 years after it was flying. I don't look at airspeed once the flaps come out in the pattern. I mounted mine on top of the glare shield.

Back