What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting location for Dynon Remote Magnetic Sensor

Wondering what type of luck others have had with mounting the Dynon remote magnetic sensor on the deck in the area of the horiz. and vert. stabs. in the empenage of the RV-8. There are some ferrous bolts in that area and I'm curious if that has caused a problem with mounting the sensor there. Thanks.

3 or 4 locations, all have merit and draw backs

Check the archives, much has been written. The location you mention has been tried with success. I think there can be some variation with elevator movement. I don't like it for weather reasons, but have seen the trick of putting the magnetometer in a baggie.

A more popular and common location is behind the baggage area, in the tail section but not as far aft. The supporting structure is off the top center of the one of the frames. Some complain of compass variation with the canopy opened v. closed. It really does not matter, since you fly with the canopy closed. This seems to me to be the best compromise. Some mount it aft but on off the bottom of the fuselage or frame.

The third variation is out in the wing, mid span or in the wing tip area. This has some advantages. I suppose wiring and strobe's as potential of causing some variation but with careful wring it's doable. Also since the AOT needs to be within 8 feet you need to mount the OAT out in the wing as well, which is probably a good thing.

Consider where you put your OAT probe, like I say it has to be within 8 feet of the EDN-D10. If you put the OAT in the tail than the fuselage location is best. Remember you want the OAT as far away from the engine, so the OAT is usually mounted under the Horz stab. If you go with a wing mount OAT mid-span or wing tip works well, because its far way for engine exhaust and heat. This mandates where the magnetometer should be mounted.

Good Luck, but there is nothing perfect. Think of weather, access and ease of wiring. I'll try and start a survey again and see if I get any bites on polling where the popular location is for the remote compass..

Here are some threads:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=7986&highlight=dynon+location

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=6892&highlight=dynon+location

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=339&page=2&pp=10&highlight=dynon+location

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8976&page=2&pp=10&highlight=remote+compass

Last edited:
tom boback said:
Wondering what type of luck others have had with mounting the Dynon remote magnetic sensor on the deck in the area of the horiz. and vert. stabs. in the empenage of the RV-8. There are some ferrous bolts in that area and I'm curious if that has caused a problem with mounting the sensor there. Thanks.
Personally I'd be more concerned about environmental effects than ferrous metal. Water could drip right down onto it as it drips down through the emp fairing. My 2 cents...cover it with plastic or something if you do put it there.

magnetometer mount

OK, second try...

magnetometermountbn0.jpg

magnetometerinfusewb9.jpg

Ok - so why the fancy mount (but very nicely done - good job) - does the magnetometer require a horizontal positioning? The unit has it's own four-point mounting holes in the corners, that seems like a natural fit, unless it requires a horizontal mount.

Greg,

It does need to be mounted horizontally, with the DB9 connector facing forward, just as shown. It also has to be lined up in all axis' with the display unit.

If mounting in the tail and you have rear mounted batteries, will there be any issues with interference?

Charlie Becker
8A
Finishing

That is a nice mount but remember, the magnetometer must be tilted to match the tilt of the Dynon D10, D100, or D180. It should not be mounted level with flight.

In my -9 the panel is slightly tilted, thus the magnetometer is also tilted.

I can't remember the angle and I'm sure it is diffent in your -8

tilt angle

Yes, you're right, the mount needs to angled such that it lies in the same plane as the display with the connector facing forward. The -8 panel is tilted 10 degrees. It's not obvious in the pictures, but the bracket has that angle built in.
As for the battery, I'm not sure, I think they're mostly concerned with moving ferrous materials. Would be worth a call though. They are a very helpful bunch.

JB...

You can't put the EDC near any cable that's carrying much current. Since the battery has high current wires, you want to stay well clear of them, about 2 feet away or more.

I have my RV-8 EDC under the empenage fairing, and the only problem I'm going to have is the white position light wires. They run within about 6 inches of the EDC, and cause the heading to change about 3 degrees when I turn the light on. Fortunately, I won't turn the light on often. Strobes don't seem to cause a problem at all.

Stationary steel objects should be avoided, but it's difficult to get completely away from anything steel. A few bolts in the vicinity don't seem to be too much of a problem.

Moving steel is a much bigger issue. You want to avoid being near that. The control stick really messes up my compass when I move the elevator. Fortunately, it's pretty accurate when the elevator is neutral, which is where it will be most of the time. When maneuvering, you can't expect a real compass to work anyway.

BTW, Dynon usually suggests holding a cheap compass in the areas you are thinking about putting the EDC. If it's affected by the current, or steel around it, then your EDC will be too.

Cheers,
Rusty

RV-8 Remote Compass Mount (Dual EDCs)

This is the remote compass mount that I came up with for two EDCs as I plan to install a Dynon D-100 and D-10A since they now have HSI capability. I will be installing an autopilot pitch servo just ahead of the bell crank and I didn't want to have any problems with it. Ignore the wiring along the sides I was just playing. I plan to install my wiring from the tail along the bottom and bottom longeron. With this installation I should have plenty of distance from any interference. It should be low enough as well to avoid disturbances from the canopy. It seems to be pretty solid. I used 1/16x2x2 aluminum angle and trimmed one side to 3/4" and drilled some lightening holes in the other. I made two 8" spacers with the scrap to help position it 8" behind the bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment. I came up with 8deg if my measurements are correct for the difference between the instrument panel and the top longerons. I then used 2 toilet bowl plastic shims on each side hit lightly with a belt sander to achieve an 8 deg wedge. I used brass #6 screws, lock washer, nut and locktite to mount the EDC. Sorry for the picture quality, I only have a camera phone. Saving my money for RV parts.

Installed 8" behind baggage compartment bulkhead

Toilet bowel plastic Shim $0.49

Angle gage I used. I wish I had found it when I was doing my flight controls. $12.00

Last edited:
Back