What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

hoizontal stablizer attachment F 710-B

tdk

The closer I get, the slower I go? After a couple days of dithering I finally got up the nerve to drill the first holes to mount the horizontal stabilizer. The tolerances are tight, as you are trying to put an AN3 at the intersection of two ?? angles to tie the HS front spar to the aft deck. The consequences of an error are great, as one of those angles is the longeron.

I nailed the intersection of the two angles, but came up short of edge distance on the F 710-B angle that lies under the aft deck. I?ve only drilled a pilot hole to #40 so far, but when I drill/ream for the bolt I?m going to be close to tearing out on the left side.

1043jh2.jpg

20if6gw.jpg

It is pretty much impossible to have a normal edge distance here, since the angle has to nest inside the longerons. But way back when I cut that angle, I didn?t have a clear idea of the tolerances here. It seems to be a common problem, and I?ve seen pictures of flying quick-builds that look worse than mine.

There is a lot of conflicting advice about how important the edge distance is. The joint is not usually experiencing much tension (down force on HS), and there is probably little lateral force acting to tear out the F 710-B. One solution is to stick some epoxy in there to give the washer/nut something to bear on, and to move on.

I emailed Van?s, and got this response:

?This happens when the 710B angle is trimmed too short. There's little remedy for it now, I'm afraid, short of replacing the angle with one that's long enough to accept the hole. We don't have any real engineering data on how close is too close. You're not far off, so maybe check with your inspector to see if he/she is happy with it. I must say the riveting work looks first-class.?

The compliment was nice, but I was hoping for some guidance from the engineers. I guess the response, and the fact that this is a frequent and long-standing issue, means that they are not too worried about it. I?ve not heard of a failure of this joint, but it seems important, as these four bolts anchor the front spar of both the HS and the VS.

Since I?m the final inspector, and it will be my butt in the seat, I?ll be drilling off the aft deck and fitting a new F-710B. Most of the rivets will be easy to drill out, and I am confident enough in my skills at this point to make the repair. It still sucks to take the aft section apart though.

The point of this post is to:

1. Alert folks still building to be wary of over-trimming F 710-B.
2. Encourage Van?s to emphasize this a bit more in the instructions.
3. Encourage discussion of a better engineering solution for this joint. Anybody have pictures of how the empennage is attached in other designs? Van?s kit is great, but it is still just a starting point, especially when the engineers do not provide specifications in this area.

Perhaps Vans would like a doubler strip (not an angle) on top (well, below actually) of the angle side the bolts pass through?

This doubler could be carefully cut with rounded edges were needed to tightly fit across the fuselage and against the existing angle. It would be held on by the rivets going through the fuselage tail deck.

Last edited:
That would be a lot fewer rivets to drill out (and easy ones at that...)

-T

Yes... check with Vans...

Interestingly there is also a "blind" edge distance on the longeron that is hidden by the cross piece. I don't think the outer bolt can actually meet 2xD in all directions.

Since your hole is only at #40 at this time, you still have a bit of leeway by moving the hole over as you enlarge it.

Last edited:
I found it impossible to get proper edge distance here and I fretted over it and contacted Van's at the time. Ken said, basically, don't worry about it. But, of course, you should contact them too.

Tom, I must say that your riveting IS absolutely amazing... beautiful work! I'm sure you will get through this hiccup. :)

Tom I took your picture and drew a line along the top center of the rivets coming down to that 1/8 in hole It appears the hole itself is offset to the edge and I think if you could work the hole inward you might get the clearance you need for the An3 bolt. This will be very tedious and slow as not to get an oblong hole.
Did you check under the angles to see how it was on the cross member?

Jack

Jack,

I took off the aft deck and the associated angles yesterday. There really isn't any room to move the hole toward the centerline, without losing edge distance on the 3/4" longeron, which seems like the most important consideration. I hit exactly the right spot on the forward spar of the HS and the longeron. I'll make a new F710B angle that tucks up tight against the inside/underside of the longeron. It will never have 2D edge distance, but I think I can get it to 1.5D, which will be good enough. In addition, I'm told Van's engineers are considering my problem. I'll report back when I hear from them.

-Tom

Back