What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure wire test

jsenft

Well Known Member
I am doing my final preparation before engine start and I cannot get an indication of any oil pressure. I did the whole oil purging process. 10-15 psi air pressure in the overflow, blocked the ?In? on the oil tank, removed the top spark plugs, filled the oil cooler and lines, and turned prop over 100 times fast, and nothing. No indication of pressure.

Is there a test I can do to check the wiring back to the Skyview? Can I place a small voltage across the two wires to see if the Skyview record a pressure?

There is a splice in the oil pressure White/Yellow wire forward of the firewall. Separate that splice and, using two flashlight cells in series, apply +3 volts to the wht/yel wire that goes through the firewall. Do NOT apply +3 volts to the oil pressure sender. Ground the negative side of the 3 volt battery. About 30 psi oil pressure should be displayed. If no oil pressure is displayed, then apply +3 volts to pin 6 of the 37-pin D-Sub connector on the SV-EMS-220. Ground the negative side of the 3 volt battery. Again, about 30 psi oil pressure should be displayed, assuming the Skyview is functioning and set up properly.
Let us know what you find.

Before doing the test in my post above, using ground as a reference, measure the voltage on the red wire and also on the wht/yel wire at the spices forward of the firewall. The red wire should have aircraft battery voltage (the EFIS must be on and running off aircraft power). Both splices must be connected to measure a voltage (which varies with the oil pressure) on the wht/yel wire.

Joe,

Well I ran all the tests. I did get battery voltage at the red wire and when I put 6 volts across the Wht/yel wire I got a pressure of 90 PSI.

Jim

It looks like the wires are intact between the point where you applied the voltage and the Skyview. So it seems that either there is no oil pressure or else the sender is not working. I suggest that you apply air pressure to the oil system like you did during the purging process to see if that pressure is displayed. That will tell you if the sender is working or not.

Back