What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA-144 Nose Gear Bushing

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
During my condition inspection I discovered that both of my VA-144 nose gear bushings were causing excessive side play in the nose gear. I have not contacted Vans to purchase a new part. I understand that I am not the first one to discover this, and that a larger O.D. part is available from Vans.

I just wonder whether this could in any way contribute to the nose gear sensitivity to shimmy/vibration that I have had since day 1.

No Cracks were discover IRT the service bulletin for the strut.

saw same thing

Bill:

See my recent post about the "nose gear problem/fix" where I asked Mike S. a question about this problem. I saw the same issue as you regarding grooved wear in the two spacers, causing the bearings to wobble and thus the wheel to wobble. I came to the same conclusion as you did regarding the shimmy.

I ordered and installed two new spacers from Van's, but after reading Mike's comments, I ordered the Matco axel and spacers. I haven't received them yet (just ordered last night), but the big difference appears to be that the spacers are held stationary, and thus do not rotate on the bearings' face. The new spacers from Van's did help, but appear to still rotate.

Jerry

Jerry,
This is not the same bushing as the nose wheel axle assembly. The VA -144 bushing is located close to the firewall where the nose gear assembly attaches to the engine mount. There are two of these bushings.

Vans provides a replacement bushing that is .030" larger OD, or .780". The new bushing will require machining prior to installation. The original bushing is .750" OD.
IRT the Matco nose axle, I have it installed since day 1.

yep, my mistake

Thanks, Bill...sorry! I should have checked your part number before opening up my mouth!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to installing the Matco axel.

Blue skies,

Jerry

Back