VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Harley-Powered?

Okay, so I got turned on by an idea i heard in another thread.

For those that don't know, there's a company called HogAir that modifies Harley-Davidson v-twins for small airplane service. The only problem is they the highest HP rating is 108hp with a 95CID engine.

Has anyone heard of, or used themselves, these engines? 95CID is no where near the limit of displacement for a new HD Big Twin. There's an engine builder in Colorado (NRHS) who sells kits up to 127CID. I've sent an e-mail to them asking how much HP you get get out of a STONE DEAD RELIABLE setup - nothing outrageous.

Also, with weight savings around 100lbs versus a Lycoming, how much less horsepower would be acceptable to run (i.e., if one was planning on using a 180hp Lyc, would a 150hp engine that weighed 100lbs less be comprable?)

I'm a total newbie to anything about this, so if i'm being retarded just let me know. I'm not usually a fan of using non-aircraft engines in and airplane, but this just sounds like a readlly cool concept.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:40 PM

jeez sounds like fun! next time I should build a bike from a lycoming?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 AM

That's not a valid option for most of us due to CG. We'd have to add the weight back to the front. Might work in the 12 though.

I've seen pictures of a bike with a radial engine, so anything is possible.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 AM

Wink

Interesting idea!! I hear HD parts are readily available... all up and down the road side.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Thomas
That's not a valid option for most of us due to CG. We'd have to add the weight back to the front. Might work in the 12 though.

I've seen pictures of a bike with a radial engine, so anything is possible.
I actually though of that after my post. At first glance it seemed cool since most everyone on here says they want a lighter, more powerful engine option. I guess that's just too light.

And why does everyone on this forum feel like HD engines haven't changed since 1913 and fall apart all over the side of the road? I'll have to watch what I say on here...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r
I actually though of that after my post. At first glance it seemed cool since most everyone on here says they want a lighter, more powerful engine option. I guess that's just too light.

And why does everyone on this forum feel like HD engines haven't changed since 1913 and fall apart all over the side of the road? I'll have to watch what I say on here...
Because most of us base our opinions on some measure of truth. The truth is the Harley engines and the Lycoming engines, actually every internal combustion engine, have changed very little since they were originally developed. There have been a few minor tweaks with secondary components but for the most part IC engines have changed very little since they were first developed.

Now as far as the statement about finding parts all over the road, well, I have no first hand experience with Harleys per se but I do know that since the design is set up to specifically run inefficiently so that it can have that distinctive "Harley sound", I for one wouldn't want to have it shaking my plane to pieces just so I can say "Yeah but doesn't it sound sweeeeet!"
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r

The means it was a joke. HD's are nice bikes. If I was given one, I'd be very grateful. Just probably would not buy one for myself. 1/4 the money for a HD knockoff rice-burner Virago with "immitation HD sound" worked OK for me.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM

Having owned three Harley's over the years and having spent many hours either standing beside my broken down pride and joy waiting for a tow truck or pushing it down the road. there is no way in **** I'd trust my precious butt to one in anything I fly. Now I realize the newer stuff is much better, but.... Nuff said?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Forum Peruser

Default A reminder from one of the moderators...

Let's all take a deep breath, exhale and think before we post. I don't see any objectionable posts in this thread yet, but I must remind you this is an RV forum, not a motorcycle forum. I like to ride cycles, too, but let's not get into a "which motorcycle is better" discussion. I see the potential for this thread to veer off the RV path. Nuf said?
If in doubt... read the rules. Doug has the link in the middle of the first page of the forums.
Thanks and keep on posting...about RV stuff.
Don
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

"The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious.
And why shouldn't it be... its the same the angels breathe." -- Mark Twain
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy
Let's all take a deep breath, exhale and think before we post. I don't see any objectionable posts in this thread yet, but I must remind you this is an RV forum, not a motorcycle forum. I like to ride cycles, too, but let's not get into a "which motorcycle is better" discussion. I see the potential for this thread to veer off the RV path. Nuf said?
If in doubt... read the rules. Doug has the link in the middle of the first page of the forums.
Thanks and keep on posting...about RV stuff.
Don
Don -

Respectfully (so please don't ban me or anything), I see nothing inflammatory. A little very light-weight smack and some discussion about use of an alternative engine choice. This discussion about using an HD engine on an RV, how reliable or not they are, *is* alternative RV engine discussion.

Last edited by Low Pass : 10-18-2006 at 11:58 AM.