What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Paint Question

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
The Sherwin Williams thread got me to thinking about paint questions I've had and need to get answered so that I can paint my interior. In general, I'm "interior-design challenged" so help is welcome!

A number of builder's have gone the "get the best possible paint" route (like SW) in hopes that it doesn't chip or scratch down the road. Sounds like some have got some really nice finishes this way.

I'm tentatively planning to go an alternate route... a textured paint that can easily be touched up if or when it becomes necessary. I'm thinking the darker grey Rustoleum "Textured", specifically the sandstone type often found on patio furniture. I bought a can for trial purposes just before Oshkosh and then saw some planes with it there that looked absolutely fantastic. (In fact, I saw many fantastic interiors by people who used regular spray paint from the aviation aisle of the hardware store.) I didn't, however, get to talk to any of the builders who used the textured to get their perspective. I don't think I saw any blemishes on the couple RVs that were painted with it so either it works really well or they had just touched it up recently.

Can anyone who has used this paint provide any insight before I commit to using it myself?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Fleck STONE Paint

You will love this stuff. "Fleck STONE" paint in a spray can by: "plasti-kote". www..plasti-kote.com I used it for the instrument panel and a few other places if your looking for a texture finish. I've had it in my -6 for 8 years with no problems fading flaking etc. and it holds up very well, let it dry for 2-4 hours then it is sprayed with Clear Fleck Stone topcoat. Fast drying also. It's easy to blend or touch up areas if you do have a boobooo down the road. Have I had to touch mine up??? Not yet..... :) I friend of mine did his RV with this paint and loves it. Flexstone is for outside use also. They have many many colors to pick from. Walmart sells it and that's a plus. Hope this helps. AJ

Last edited:
Sherwin Williams has a interior paint called JET-FLEX. Very durable and easy to apply. You can get it in two versions, water base and solvent base. I've used the water base several times with great results. When you spray it the finish looks like heck. The next day though, it looks awesome. If you ever have to do a repair, it just blends right in. Clean up is with hot water and a little amonia.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I'm thinking the darker grey Rustoleum "Textured", specifically the sandstone type often found on patio furniture.

For what it's worth, I just painted my interior with the Rustoleum Textured in their Dark Pewter color (#7221 I believe) and it went on really nice, despite my poor abilities as a painter. The Rustoleum Textured is pretty durable, and even more importantly for me it is easy to touch up!

good luck,
mcb

Steve...

I used rattle cans of "Hammerfinish" Rustoleum. It sprays nice, hides inperfections, and can be easily retouched. Cost is about $5 each at the local hardware store & I used 3 cans. I had restored 4 other airplanes before building my RV6 and I used good automotive interior paint on those...DuPont, PPG, Etc. including a Cessna 170 16 years ago. After flying the C170 I noticed some chipping around the door opening...result...$220 for a quart of paint, catalyst, reducer, and supplies. Paint has gotten terribly expensive. Take it from me, use the hardware store stuff because you WILL chip it and it is easier. The only negative about the Rustoleum is it takes some time to dry to a durable finish..24 to 48 hrs if I recall.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6
155 flight hrs, Installing Hartzell C/S

mburch said:
For what it's worth, I just painted my interior with the Rustoleum Textured in their Dark Pewter color (#7221 I believe) and it went on really nice, despite my poor abilities as a painter. The Rustoleum Textured is pretty durable, and even more importantly for me it is easy to touch up!

good luck,
mcb

Matt--that's the same number as on my can. Glad I'm not the only one who likes it! What did you use for your panel color then? I would like the same grey but I don't want to use textured on the panel (for ease of labeling) so I'm thinking I take a color sample for the Rustoleum down to a paint shop and have them match the color of a semigloss/no texture equivalent and put it in a spray can.

Thanks for the first hand account as well as everyone elses confirmation that the (cheap) textured or hammered stuff out of the can works just fine.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Matt--that's the same number as on my can. Glad I'm not the only one who likes it! What did you use for your panel color then?

Steve,

I haven't decided on the panel color yet. I'll probably do like you and try to find a non-textured, non-gloss paint that's pretty close to the Rustoleum. Or, I may be able to have the panel powder-coated when the time comes. That's a ways down the road for me though.

For what it's worth, I printed off a label on my Brother label machine and stuck it to a Rustoleum-Textured-painted scrap piece just to see how it would stick. It's been on there for like three months now and hasn't peeled off yet. YMMV.

The other thing I learned while painting the interior - get a "Can Gun"... it seemed to help me prevent runs and drips. This is probably old news to you but I am a rank amateur when it comes to anything paint-related. :)

Here's some photos that may help you visualize what that particular color looks like on an RV fuselage:

http://www.rv7blog.com/index.php/2006/09/18/painted-fuselage-interior/
http://www.rv7blog.com/index.php/2006/09/20/another-coat-of-interior-paint/
http://www.rv7blog.com/index.php/2006/09/24/finished-painting-fuselage-worked-on-brakes/

mcb

Last edited:
I was planning on just using the same grey epoxy primer i have been using everywhere to paint the interior of the fuse as well. I figured that eventually the interior would be covered over with soundproofing and fabric. Is this a bad idea then?

It sounds like others are using some kind of specific interior paint. Is this mainly to get the right aesthetics - ie, color, look, and texture? Are people applying the interior paint over the same primer applied on other parts of the airframe?

Just curious, Thanks.
jae

I bought Jet Flex for my interior just last week. Looking forward to using it but now I don't know what to expect. What is it that looks so bad when you first spray it on? Also, how much did you thin it and what pressure worked best for you?
Thanks,
Slingshot
RV-7A, Fuse

I thinned my JET-FLEX about 20-25%. I used the water base version and thinned with distilled watter at room temp. When sprayed it has a bad orange peel look to it. Bad enough that if it was urethane I would be looking for the solvent and rags to wipe it all off and try again. The next day though, when it is totally dry, the finish is smooth and flat. It is really hard to mess up using this stuff. Makes anyone look like a pro. As far a pressure settings go, I don't know. I adjust my spray gun buy sound, size of spray pattern, and atomization.

jchang10 said:
I was planning on just using the same grey epoxy primer i have been using everywhere to paint the interior of the fuse as well.
Yep, that's my initial plan too, only in thicker layers probably...

jchang10 said:
It sounds like others are using some kind of specific interior paint. Is this mainly to get the right aesthetics - ie, color, look, and texture? Are people applying the interior paint over the same primer applied on other parts of the airframe?
I wouldn't mind the answers to these questions as well. Along with, exactly when have people been actually painting the interior?

Cheers,

Concur on the SW-JF

I just used the SW Jet Flex WB on my interior as well. I ended up with some areas that are a little less smooth, but in the areas that count, it seemed to have gone on well. Really easy to use this but cut 20% or so with DI/ distilled water and spray a little closer to the surface. I used the Sandy Beige color, which is something close to what Boeing uses (I'm told) and do like the looks. Not cheap, but a good paint.

Jim

Cost of JetFlex WB

I am just about to commit to an interior paint. The JetFlex WB is appealing.

What is the cost (QT) for JetFlex WB?

Paul

Back