What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH FYI

woxofswa

Well Known Member
A friend of mine called me today and said that he was playing around on Flightaware and when he punched in my N number, a picture of my aircraft appeared.

Since my aircraft is only a few months old and since the picture was taken on grass, the only possible time that picture could have been taken was at HBC at OSH.

Now that I think about it, I do remember a couple of dudes in safari vests and several cameras walking the flightline and shooting every airplane.

Interesting world in which we live. This stuff doesn't bother me but I know people that it definitely would.

Yep, same here. I was surprised, but not surprised.
What was surprising, and a bit flattering, was seeing a profile illustration made of my plane. One of the early illustrations of someone who posts caricatures on these forums.

Even more strange, I Googled my N number and I got a photo of me raiding Myron's cooler at Oshkosh. :eek:

Sitting by my plane at OSH I also so lots of people snapping pictures of every plane and jotting quick notes like they were on a serious mission and in a hurry. Google "aircraft spotting," it will define it although I don't exactly understand it.

Privacy?

Forget your N-number. Google your own name sometime. Depending upon how you've traversed the internet, over the last 20yrs, you might be surprised. Having consulted on security and social engineering... some folks are shocked to find out about themselves on simple searches.

My only personal concern is how much employers want to dig out of individuals which could affect layoff decisions, etc. Offering reduced medical benefits if you utilize their medical examiners as an example. For the times I've worked for a public company, I show up and do my job. I don't get all involved in most of the social events nor do I subscribe to all their employee "benefits". I've seen it backfire many times.

Other than that, I have nothing to hide so tap my phone, follow me, nic sniff my internet connection. You'll be bored. :eek:

>>a photo of me raiding Myron's cooler at Oshkosh<<

That cooler was our middle of the night honey pot. I set it out hoping someone would steal it saving the me trouble of dumping it. :D

BTW, there is a service available for corporate flight departments who wish to somewhat mask their travels from inquiring minds by allowing the use of a generic "dotcom xyz" callsign.

Last edited:
Pictures

There were several folks walking around Oshkosh taking pictures of every airplane a taking notes. I talked to a couple of them, they were from Europe (I think Germany) and a lot of folks over there take airplane spotting very very seriously. Kind of like many people do with bird watching (the feathered kind) they keep "life lists" and detailed notes of where they saw each plane. So what better place to boost your list than OSH.

My plane was not there this year, but a N-number search comes up with a picture from OSH 2013.

There were several folks walking around Oshkosh taking pictures of every airplane a taking notes. I talked to a couple of them, they were from Europe (I think Germany) and a lot of folks over there take airplane spotting very very seriously. Kind of like many people do with bird watching (the feathered kind) they keep "life lists" and detailed notes of where they saw each plane. So what better place to boost your list than OSH.

My plane was not there this year, but a N-number search comes up with a picture from OSH 2013.

I have to admit, I think the people who go around photographing and jotting down N-numbers are, well, weird. Even as an amateur birder, I don't see the point in "logging" and photographing every single plane, just for the purpose of logging and photographing them.

Strange. But then, people can be strange. It's a wonder there aren't people who try to make lists of cars by license plate.

ETA: BTW, bird species only count if they're seen "alive, wild and unrestrained". Is a plane tied down on a ramp "restrained"? LOL!

Last edited:
?..a lot of folks over there take airplane spotting very very seriously. Kind of like many people do with bird watching (the feathered kind) they keep "life lists" and detailed notes of where they saw each plane.

We used to see dozens photographing at the perimeter fences in Japan when taxiing for takeoff when we visited a distant base of a different service. Base Ops told us many were professional freelance photographers that would sell the photos to the plastic airplane model manufacturers who wanted accurate details.

Aircraft spotting as a hobby

I am, somewhat, of an "aircraft spotter" myself. While I don't take pictures of every aircraft I see, I do take photos of things that interest me or relate to me in some personal way.

The majority of aircraft spotting involves the airline world.

I wish I had taken more pictures during my early career but film cameras cost too much for that back in the day.

With the invention of the Internet, you can forget all about privacy.

These folks are weird to you, but to me they are capturing history.

So next time someone talks of the "old days" or "some particular airplane", well, here's your picture. You're welcome.

Interesting googling tail number

I had googled my tail number before and found pictures of the plane but this time I found this link https://vatstats.net/flights/829381 which is an Embraer Phenom flying from Gibraltar to Nice at 40,000 ft at 450 kts with the same callsign as my tail number. Those would be cool numbers for my 7 :D

Back