What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It takes a village to build a plane......

chrishalfman

I am proud to announce RV-7A, N567CH took flight August 10, 2014 at approximately 15:57 central time from KMLE, Millard Airport in Omaha, Nebraska with Jerry Ronk at the controls. ECi Titan OX-360, 185 HP, ground adjustable Whirlwind prop and the full Dynon Skyview suite, weighing in at 1,062 lbs. The first flight was fairly uneventful, but was shortened as the front cylinder temps were climbing higher than was desired. That was quickly remedied and a much longer run was taken later in the day.

If you’ve never built a plane or aren’t in the aircraft industry at some level, it takes a lot of people you’d never met before you wanted to build a plane to help you out in one way or another. That could be gleaning knowledge from hearing conversations, seeing other people’s projects or finished planes or asking them to physically help you with something. I want to thank all the people in the last 3,566 days that helped make that happen. (I received tail kit 72079 on November 4, 2004. There was a good 3.5+ year break in there somewhere…..)

Starting with Ron Merten for looking at me weird back at the bar in Stacyville, Iowa, Memorial weekend, 2004, when I said I wanted to build a Long-EZ. That quickly brought Mike Mullenbach over and he convinced me to go for a ride in his -4 the very next day. To be honest, the RV just wasn’t cool enough looking and wasn’t really that excited to go up in his ‘normal’ plane. I wanted a little canarded spaceship! We went for a ride and all I could think was we were hauling the mail! It was FAST! And then I got the grin! Mike then explained why he thought a RV was a much better idea than building from scratch and more importantly building fiberglass from scratch, especially for a first plane. Mike was right.

Doyle Reed gave me my first ride in a -7A. Curtis McDonough helped get me get started on the tail, answered all the newbie questions and kept me from freaking out if I messed something up in the beginning. He helped guide me in the ways of the world involving perfect, unacceptable, and ‘it’ll be fine’ criteria. And the Air Capitol RVators in Wichita, KS for the monthly tours to people’s planes, projects and conversations.

After changing jobs and moving to Omaha, Jim Beyer got me in a plane to get me motivated again. (That was the end of the 3.5 year hiatus.) The EAA 80 chapter has had multiple people I’ve used for knowledge and help, including Jerry Ronk, Mike Howard, Bob Cartwright, Kevin Farris, and Dan James. And non-airplane builders like Scott Anderson, Brian Stolley, and my Idora Street and Sheffield Street neighbors that helped carry wings or 'hold this' for a second and didn't think I was too weird for building a plane in my garage! I’m certain there are others I’m forgetting in both Wichita and Omaha. Thanks to you all! It’s the end of one chapter and the beginning of another!

I'm not flying off any of the phase 1. Too long since I've been PIC and just not worth trying to force it by putting myself in the seat. There’s going to be a lot of dual instruction, but I hope to be PIC of Jane-the-plane in October sometime. And, no, I’m not sure how much I’ve $spent$. Might not want to. :)

Sorry-the picts are pretty marginal.

2c03096b-1328-495d-b971-1858401141f6_zpsb220d8e7.jpg

20140805_1954281_zps0f077d17.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,
Congratulations on the first flight! Now all of the blood, sweat, and tears of building have turned into the huge RV grin and the whole new phase of the project is now here, flight.

Curtis

Back