What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second night flight observations

crabandy

Well Known Member
I had my first extended (2nd night flight in the RV) night flight coming back from OSH and found several things I would like to put on my "to do" list.

The strobe flashing was pretty visible and got kind of annoying, has anyone done anything to minimize the flashing in the cockpit? The standard whelen strobe lights are mounted per plans in the cutout on the front of the newer style wingtip. Only pic I could find of the wingtip lights was when I was calibrating fuel tanks.
3EA85BFB-4396-42F9-875E-14913D64444A-33181-000012B814BE9110_zpsabb0b4d1.jpg

I did dim the G3X several times to get it to a comfortable level. I installed one of these dimmer switches http://www.kicklighting.com/PWM-dimmer-switch-for-LED.htm to run a led light strip. Great for illuminating the whole cockpit for entry and exit but the dimmest setting is so bright I can't see outside while flying. Is there a way I can reduce the voltage to this switch so it will dim further?
9B9D3E8F-00F9-4E1B-A65C-A97B93352C54-31868-000011FD84E2B5EE_zps78baaaad.jpg

I installed the duckworks leading edge HID 50W in the left wing and 75W in the right and they are pretty awesome. I was lighting up the runway like daylight 300 feet up on 1/4 mile final.

too much of a good thing

I am afraid to say it... lest I appear harsh. The availability of LED strip lights and ease of installation has led (pun for sure) to over use.
There are simply too many lights. Our eyes, when night adjusted, are quite sensitive. In GA, not much science is applied to these choices. Go visit a shop that does completions on EMS helicopters where the crew uses NVG goggles.
A great deal of effort goes into the lighting color and levels to get it right.
Good luck on your project.

I have a similar style of LED strip lights and had the same problem with the brightness - and mine was half your length. I just started cutting the length down shorter and shorter until I could get the right amount of light. It really only takes a few LEDS at most - not an entire strip for sure.

Same issue with LED light strip

I put my LEDs under the glare shield as you did, about 24" under glare shield and 12" in the baggage compartment. Love them to flood the interior for ground ops but can barely get them dim enough to use in flight when it is fully dark. I think I will try breaking the 24" strip into 4 sections of maybe 2 LEDs each with wiring in between. That way I can reduce the light amount but still have them in the right spots above the panel.

I have a similar style of LED strip lights and had the same problem with the brightness - and mine was half your length. I just started cutting the length down shorter and shorter until I could get the right amount of light. It really only takes a few LEDS at most - not an entire strip for sure.

Back