What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunriver Morning

Spindrift

Well Known Member
A quick morning flight over the Central Oregon Cascades last week?

http://youtu.be/1gQHmBGj-HQ

Any ideas on how to reduce the vibrations? Before editing they were really bad. The distortion is super noticeable near the end with the slo-mo showing the horses. I have a new prop so it could be I just need dynamic balancing.

How is the camera mounted exactly? Looks like an arm problem.

the shake/jello effect can be minimized somewhat with neutral density filters (and your prop would effectively disappear) but mostly it looks like whatever mount is being used is probably the culprit.

Suggestions:

1. If it's a mount like the suction cup one with a long arm, minimize the extension from the center of the attach point. I make mine very flat. The low provile stick on mounts are often good. The post mounts that attach to tie down sockets or screw points are a mixed bag.

2. Mount in a place where you get the best skin support from adjacent bulkheads, ribs, etc. Next to a 90 degree crossing of rivets is often good. If you can oilcan it by pressing on it, it will shake!

3. If this is a gopro mount, you might need to put the little "what-the-heck-is-that-thing" nylon spacer that came with the camera and case in there. It can make a real difference, too.

Based on the little bit of the nose cowl I can see, I think I maybe saw your plane (red tail style) on the ramp there last Sunday. :)

There was significant low frequency dynamic motion in the video between the camera and wheel skirt between 3:10 and 3:25. I would question the rigidity of the camera mount, not prop imbalance. Some of the higher frequency motion earlier in the video could be prop frequency induced, but I would start with trying to understand the lower frequency motion first.

Thanks

for the ideas. It is mounted on a stick-on GoPro mount with a reinforcing screw to the outboard inspection plate. It does have the extension so less of the wing is visible.

Greg, nope, wasn't me at Hillsboro this time.

Back