What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beware of the Hun in the Sun....

David-aviator

Well Known Member
As previously reported in other threads, I had the bottom of the fuselage, wings, cowl, spinner and empennage painted at a local auto body shop. Those parts that could be removed from the airplane were taken to the shop and painted, the rest of it was done in the hangar by the same guy. (Doug)

I had originally decided to polish the wing tops but quickly changed my mind about that after one experience of the sun reflecting into my eyes looking in that direction. It was not good at all for seeing ANYTHING coming in from that direction.

So, I had Doug come back and paint the top of the wings yesterday. I was concerned about dust, it was not an issue with the bottom skins, and as it turned out I could not be more pleased. The finished job is 98% perfect for lack of dust in the paint.

I think the trick is to use some product that removes all dust before the primer and paint are shot. There was a gentle breeze through the hangar yesterday (I have doors on both ends) and the air was relatively clean. Doug shoots the primer and paint one after another, it is his technique. He is good at what he does having painted many race cars and other vehicles locally.

Sure is a lot easier than dismantling the wings and fuselage and hauling them somewhere, or flying hundreds of miles, to get the job done.

(Doug's Auto Paint, Troy Missouri)

2utrrb5.jpg

PS 12.8 hours, 37 landings, could not more pleased with that part of the operation either. The 8 is a wonderful flying machine.

Last edited:
Back