What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lycoming IO360...200hp C1C

stanman

can anyone tell me anything about this engine...is it suitable for rv8..ie mounts etc...also i believe it is rear air induction. .looking at one that had a prop strike.needs..new crank ..bearings etc...about 960 hrs.to.run on top end...many tks

Yes and no. It'll probably work if you don't have an 8A, but it isn't ideal. Best option here is when you overhaul it, put a fwd facing sump on it. that'll solve most of your problems.

By putting a forward facing sump on, as Oxsuser suggests, you would be basically converting the engine to an IO-360-A1B. The A1B is the non-counterweighted version of the 200HP IO-360-A1B6 that Vans sells.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

It can be modified

My engine started out as an IO-306A1A from a 1966 Mooney. A previous owner swapped out the -A sump for a -C model to install it on a Velocity. At the time, -A model sumps were unobtainium... very rare and desirable (and expensive). I have a friend that modified the -C sump back to a forward facing throttle body for his Skybolt and he recommended that I do the same.

The sump has a cast-in flat spot on the front. It actually looks like its for the t/b but isn't machined out. I had a local machinist do the mod for me. He machined the opening on the front, drilled and tapped the holes, made an adaptor to fit the t/b, and made a closeout plate for the back. I then had to make the brackets for the throttle and mixture cables, there are no mounting bosses like on the -A sump. The only other problem I had was with the Van's snorkle. The early snorkles were not made very well and the t/b is now located more on the left side of the engine. I had a friend that is a genius with composites make a new snorkel that turned out awesome. The engine runs great and everyone thinks its an IO-360A1A. In general, it is a worthwhile mod if you have the engine and can't get an -A sump.

Karl

mahlon_r said:
By putting a forward facing sump on, as Oxsuser suggests, you would be basically converting the engine to an IO-360-A1B. The A1B is the non-counterweighted version of the 200HP IO-360-A1B6 that Vans sells.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
“The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.”

Stan,
Mahlon suggests one possible solution. However, he failed to mention that you would also need to purchase a set of 4 new $$$ intake tubes to go with that forward facing sump.
The C1C sump WILL fit on the RV8 (but not the 8A) The sumps were cast in such a way that you can have a machine shop convert it to forward facing servo. You will note that there is a rough cast pad on the front of the sump. I good machine shop can machine a nice flat surface on this pad, bore a hole from the front (match the existing rear hole) and drill and tap 4 new stud mounting holes. Then fabricate a blocking plate and gasket for the existing servo location and you are in business.
The deepest part of the C series sumps is located further rearward, when compared to the A series sumps. The intake tubes also enter the C sump at a more aft location, hence the need for different intake tubes (about $240 each new). A good used A series sump and tubes generally will fetch about $1000. I'm sure you can get your current equipment converted by a competent machinist for far less.
If you are interested, I can email you photos on why the C series sumps won't work on the 8A model. :-(
Charlie Kuss
PS Using the C1C sump will require a "non standard" Vetterman exhaust system. Larry has built these before. There is "probably" (I don't really know) an increase in price for that exhaust.
Photos mentioned above can be viewed in my 2nd post at the link below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=41657&page=2

Last edited:
RV8N said:
My engine started out as an IO-306A1A from a 1966 Mooney. A previous owner swapped out the -A sump for a -C model to install it on a Velocity. At the time, -A model sumps were unobtainium... very rare and desirable (and expensive). I have a friend that modified the -C sump back to a forward facing throttle body for his Skybolt and he recommended that I do the same.

Karl

I was gonna say the same thing... breakout the large sized hole cutter and MAKE it work...even without the above knowledge it can't be that hard to do...Of course not...cus I haven't done it...:)

Frank

re io360 C1C

many tks to all ..re your advice.....its had a prop strike...the dollars are starting to stack up too high..i.ll probably look at a superior or similar..rgds stan

Lycoming I0-360 C1C

I am building a RV 7A and would like to know if this engine could be used for this application? I am told from the owner of the engine that he has some sort of attchment to angle the injection in the back of the engine. It came off of a Piper Arrow. Craig

Craig, to the best of my knowledge, the C1C will NOT work, even with the angle adaptor.

Back