What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tunnel Vision, take 2

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Earlier this week I started a thread about a very minor mishap with my RV 10, where I lost a wheelpant during landing. For those interested see here---- http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114693

However, as often happens the thread took on a life of its own, and the original message got lost as the discussion took off in a direction I had not anticipated.

As there was a lot of good information generated, I moved that thread to the "RV10 forum, and an starting over to try getting my original thoughts back on track in this thread.

In a nutshell, what happened is that I had experienced the dreaded "shopping cart shimmy" a few times while landing, and it always occurred just after loosing enough speed that I was no longer able to keep the nose wheel off any longer.

Of course, having read about nose wheel issues many times in the past, I concentrated my corrective efforts on fixing the common nose wheel issues.

As it turned out, the actual problem was a main wheel, and not the nose. No wonder I could not seem to get it corrected.

Moral of the story is that if you fix something that you KNOW is a problem and the issue is still there, try thinking a bit "out of the box" ------- or perhaps I should say out of the "tunnel";). The thing you KNOW is wrong just might not be the actual problem.

I got lucky, only cost me a few hundred $$$ and some time. No one hurt and no major damage to the plane.

Please be safe out there.....................

Last edited:
Back