What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shout-Out to Val Avionics

terrykohler

Well Known Member
My Val INS429 was acting up this past Sunday and I called Val to leave a message. Half an hour later (on Sunday) I get a call back from Jim Harr, owner and President. I asked if he could give me a quick turnaround on diagnosis and repair as I'm headed to Northern Michigan on Saturday, and the 429 is what makes N323TP an instrument platform. Based on my description, he tells me he is certain what the failure point is and that the newer units (mine is about 4 years old) have been fixed with a design mod.
I end up overnighting my unit as well as buddy Ted Gauthier's from Michigan to Oregon. Today, Jim tells me that both units have been taken care of and should arrive in my hands this afternoon. WOW!
Would you like a check or CC number. Nope, covered by warranty. But I need to at least pay for the return overnight freight. Nope, you're covered. Did I say WOW!
Thanks Jim. Great product and unbelievable service. For anyone that hasn't flown with a 429, it's an outstanding instrument if you really demand precision capability for instrument approaches and general VOR navigation. It can also be used as an OBS display for an SL30, GNS430, etc.
Check it out.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Val 429

I had a similar positive experience with the folks at Val. After install of a brand new 429, the localizer was receiving just fine but the glideslope was not showing up on the unit. Tried several ILS approaches at different locations, changed the coax from the duplexer to the unit, changed the duplexer, still no joy. Called Val and the response was "You've done all you can do, send us the unit." Got it back pronto and working perfectly. This unit is ruggedly built and easy to operate.

+1 for Val

+1 for Val customer service. I had a similar experience with them and their Val Nav 2000.

Back