What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The value of a preflight

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
10390215_10152511574574216_3253645901486687960_n.jpg

My plane finally was ferried back from the paint shop in Hibbing MN today as the sun finally came out after 20 inches of rain this month.

My airline pilot pal agreed to be the ferry pilot.

I was up at the paint shop last week, but I neglected to do as thorough an inspection as I should have. I missed the fact that paint shop painted the static ports (I presume they intended to clear them afterward). When Joe went up today, he neglected them to.

The airspeed and altimeter never came alive as Joe climbed out, apparently, but fortunately, he had Darryl Zook in his RV-8 (who ferried Joe to Hibbing for me), so they formed up and Joe was able to calibrate himself and, since he's flying into the MSP area, avoid improper altitudes.

Darryl guided him back to KSGS with a nice overhead break and an approach to landing so Joe could again get his airspeed right and made a perfect landing. (Video)

This one was on me, but my friend offered this up on Facebook:

This is one of those embarrassing stories, that quite honestly I normally wouldn't tell too loudly. However it is one that everyone can learn from, so telling it, with only the cost of a bit of ego, has merit. I obviously did not do as thorough of a preflight as I should have. I knew where the static ports were, but not having the recency of experience in this model (I fly about 75-100 hours a month for work) I overlooked them. Wouldn't you know it, this was one time it was important, as they were painted over.

The good news was GPS ground speed is a useful tool in such situations. "Known" pitch and power settings are also useful and they are usually close enough for most small airplanes with similar performance. Having these things, I was quite comfortable, yet cautious, with out airspeed. I was, however, thankful to have Daryl leading to navigate airspace under class B and to provide his mode c services into the MSP mode c veil as a flight.

I also confessed to a few friends who are also professional pilots and told them that clearly I can and need to be more cautious. Even though I fly for a living and have extensive training, we all have the ability to make a mistake, in any airplane, no matter how routine you think the flight may be. Be careful, be cautious, don't get rushed, and by all means FLY THE AIRPLANE.

Pre-flight all instruments were indicating normally. Since we had briefed and were flying a formation departure, I only did a cursory look at the instrument panel on the takeoff roll. When I looked down, I had "some" airspeed, and then kept my sights locked on lead until rejoined. We got on course and I moved out into route formation to look over instruments. I immediately knew what was wrong. Knowing the indications of pitot vs. static port blockage was helpful.

I pondered my situation a bit and once clear of the traffic pattern and on a discrete air to air frequency verbalized the problem to Daryl, as the formation leader. As professional pilots, we are trained to use our outside resources to the maximum extent possible, so I used Daryl as a part of my CRM (Crew Resource Management). We discussed and agreed on the probable cause. We then had a discussion on how to proceed.

At this point I was faced with a choice. Return to the departure airport, or continue. Our original plan was to go to an airport 40 minutes away with cheap fuel, but that airport was unknown to either of us. That airport was immediately out of the question in my mind due to lack of familiarity as well as not knowing for sure if we could fix the problem once on the ground.

I have experience flying small airplanes without reference to any instruments (instructing in the back seat of tail draggers). I was confident in my ability to maintain safe flying airspeed without an airspeed indicator. With a lead airplane of similar performance, I had a qualitative "indication" of airspeed and altitude. I also had groundspeed as a de facto quantitative indication. I judged it safe to continue, but that we should go to the airplane's home base where we would better be able to handle the discrepancy.

Last edited:
Airspeed

When I went for transition training with Mike Seager (actually my second visit for a one day refresher shared with my father since it, um, took me a lot longer to finish building than I planned after our first round of training,) through some sort of miscommunication Mike thought I would be training in the 6A instead of the -7. As we got into the -A at Vernonia, there was a bit of an awkward moment when I inquired about the tail dragger. After Mike explained that he thought we were building an -A, he told me that the -7 was at Vans for repair of a broken airspeed indicator. He then gave me the option of flying to Aurora to get the -7 if I really wanted to fly it instead, as long as I didn't mind flying without the ASI. I was game and figured it would be good experience for preparation of the first flight in my plane. It turned out t be a great experience and convinced me that these planes can be flown just fine without airspeed if you know what to look for! I flew my -8 on its maiden flight 3 days later without issue.

Skylor
RV-8

When I went for transition training with Mike Seager (actually my second visit for a one day refresher shared with my father since it, um, took me a lot longer to finish building than I planned after our first round of training,) through some sort of miscommunication Mike thought I would be training in the 6A instead of the -7. As we got into the -A at Vernonia, there was a bit of an awkward moment when I inquired about the tail dragger. After Mike explained that he thought we were building an -A, he told me that the -7 was at Vans for repair of a broken airspeed indicator. He then gave me the option of flying to Aurora to get the -7 if I really wanted to fly it instead, as long as I didn't mind flying without the ASI. I was game and figured it would be good experience for preparation of the first flight in my plane. It turned out t be a great experience and convinced me that these planes can be flown just fine without airspeed if you know what to look for! I flew my -8 on its maiden flight 3 days later without issue.

Skylor
RV-8

So what you mean is the airspeed indicator was fully functioning before your flight and failed before you returned, right? :D

So what you mean is the airspeed indicator was fully functioning before your flight and failed before you returned, right? :D

Nope, it's not what I mean. Experimentals do not require air speed indicators for daytime VFR!

Skylor

DAY/VFR required equip?

OK, before I respond, why do you differentiate between eab and 'certified' when saying that the normal required equip isn't required?

Wouldn't hurt to have an ALT static source like the Warriors have at the bottom of the panel. It would cost about nothing to install.

When I installed my XTreme, I left the analog airspeed in the panel, but I vented the static port to the cockpit.

Here is what it displays..... vents open or closed..... above 150 mph, it reads close to TAS. Under 100mph, it matches the XTreme almost perfectly for IAS.

required equip?

That's new information for me too. It seems legal for EAB but is it good practice for many of the 91.205 items? Not for me.

Wouldn't hurt to have an ALT static source like the Warriors have at the bottom of the panel. It would cost about nothing to install.

When I installed my XTreme, I left the analog airspeed in the panel, but I vented the static port to the cockpit.

Here is what it displays..... vents open or closed..... above 150 mph, it reads close to TAS. Under 100mph, it matches the XTreme almost perfectly for IAS.

Stein sells a simple valve for this purpose (alternate static). Looks like a toggle switch on the panel.

I considered venting my backup efis directly to the cabin, but was afraid my brain would have trouble with the airspeed and altitude descrepancies, especially when ifr.

When I read the title of this post I thought it was about the Gulfstream takeoff accident outside Boston a few weeks ago. (see ntsb preliminary report).

what is S.O.P. for paint/prep???

to paraphrase;
I missed the fact that paint shop painted the static ports (I presume they intended to clear them afterward).

I really have to wonder what kind of AIRCRAFT paint shop would not have the sense to stick a toothpick/rivet in there, with a little flag of tape on it, and pull it out as soon as the paint tacks.
.........and still, many RV'ers have found that changing the deck to height (projection) of the typical port has an effect on the pressure differential.
( so you may want to leave the port 'ring' unpainted.... if it chips off a year from now, you won't magically have a new airspeed!)

just my $.02

That's a fabulous idea. And I have a backup airspeed indicator and altimeter in the panel to go along with the Dynon D100. Wouldn't be any work at all to do this.

to paraphrase;
I missed the fact that paint shop painted the static ports (I presume they intended to clear them afterward).

I really have to wonder what kind of AIRCRAFT paint shop would not have the sense to stick a toothpick/rivet in there, with a little flag of tape on it, and pull it out as soon as the paint tacks.
.........and still, many RV'ers have found that changing the deck to height (projection) of the typical port has an effect on the pressure differential.
( so you may want to leave the port 'ring' unpainted.... if it chips off a year from now, you won't magically have a new airspeed!)

just my $.02

Yes, I was thinking of taking the Xacto to it this week.

Yes. In my book, this is a given. I have a Warrior now and plan to include inside-cabin alternate source when I get mine built.

Back