What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I convert female oil filter mount to use automotive filter?

FORANE

Well Known Member
We have a O-320 in our 9A. I planned to use one of the Napa automotive filters I have read some use. On first oil change I discovered our oil filter mount takes a male threaded oil filter (i.e. the mount is threaded female).

I understand the female mounts were made to insure a bypass filter was used with that motor; is this correct? In any case, the Napa filter I planned to use is a bypass filter from what I have read.

So, how does one convert the oil filter mount to male?

3/4-16 thread I think, same as a Ford, Auto parts store or speed shop like Jegs or Summit Racing will have the threaded insert. That's where I got mine.

Double nut the 3/4-16 nipple on any used filter and remove it. Or, use a band saw to cut the flange in two places to just shy of the nipple and twist to finish the job, it will drop right out.

IMHO only, there are better ways to save 10 bucks.

Walt, I have installed a bypass filter on my Rocket and it might give you heart palpitations when I tell you what filter media it uses. Fair warning!

Ready?

Toilet paper.

Walt, I have installed a bypass filter on my Rocket and it might give you heart palpitations when I tell you what filter media it uses. Fair warning!

Ready?

Toilet paper.

These were used on many class 8 trucks years ago, they were very good for removing the fine soot from combustion. Today they use the centrifugal separators. Have you seen a significant improvement in your oil sample analysis?

These were used on many class 8 trucks years ago, they were very good for removing the fine soot from combustion. Today they use the centrifugal separators. Have you seen a significant improvement in your oil sample analysis?

Not flying with it yet. I looked at centrifugal separators and concluded that it was not a good idea to try to use one since I do acro.

Not flying with it yet. I looked at centrifugal separators and concluded that it was not a good idea to try to use one since I do acro.

Recently I looked at a 172 that had an Amsoil bypass filter installed and it was approved by the FAA via 337.

Recently I looked at a 172 that had an Amsoil bypass filter installed and it was approved by the FAA via 337.

I am still considering the centrifugal as it would remove all the lead, but I will get flying first. Good point about acro - it does not spin well when flooded. Actually, a good hydraulic filter is 3-5 microns and could serve as a good trickle bypass filter with an orificed feed and a back pressure gage to indicate capacity. Could be incorporated with a full inverted system and a scavage pump. Ughhh - too much experimental thinking. Back to work.

Last edited:
We have a O-320 in our 9A. I planned to use one of the Napa automotive filters I have read some use. On first oil change I discovered our oil filter mount takes a male threaded oil filter (i.e. the mount is threaded female).

I understand the female mounts were made to insure a bypass filter was used with that motor; is this correct? In any case, the Napa filter I planned to use is a bypass filter from what I have read.

So, how does one convert the oil filter mount to male?

Check with your local NAPA auto parts. They have a fitting that will do what you want. It has a part number...... If I can find it, I will post it here.

Back