What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't over-tighten drain plugs

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Classic error...the gorilla who installed this oil drain plug extruded the aluminum sealing ring, the result being a slow leak. This is a car, but the same principle applies to various seal rings on your Lycoming.

vrqykk.jpg

Last edited:
RIGHT!!!

Ditto Dan. I've been down that road with autos and is the very reason I do my own oil changes!!! :(

Oil change

Ditto Dan. I've been down that road with autos and is the very reason I do my own oil changes!!! :(

+1
No one touches my vehicles unless it's beyond my capabilities. That hasn't happened yet.
The exception is warranty and recall work.

Last edited:
Nasty. I'd bet the same shop torques the wheel lug nuts to 300 ft-lb with an impact gun when the spec calls for 95. I won't let a dealer, or even an independent mechanic near my car.

On Ex-Wife's car, I found the drain plug CROSS THREADED the first time I changed the oil. Fortunately Toyota was smart enough to make the thread in the pan harder than the plug. New plug worked fine without needing to re-tap or replace the hole in the pan.

Back