What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would you fix this ?

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
2urnjtf.jpg

This is the lower rudder faring on my 14A. The fairing is proud of the trailing edge by .010 and is flush at the first rivet. The other side is not perfect, but it isn't as noticeable. Would you fix it?

nope

the only time you will notice it is every preflight inspection and you will learn to smile at it in time. build on.

I fixed mine, took it all apart and didn't reassemble it until after paint. Now it's off set to the other side :eek:

Exactly Paul.
Mine was darned near perfect at construction but it wanders every time I take that piece off. Like Steve said too, just smile and go on.

It is a polyester resin part... Since it is off by such a small amount, I would try some heat (use care not to bubble the gelcoat) and move it into position.
After you get it where you want it, put it through a few more heat/cool cycles to help stabilize it in its new shape (you should hold it in position during each cycle).

Sandpaper on the right side, filler/flox on the left side to make everything flush and your done! That's what I would do.

This is the lower rudder faring on my 14A. The fairing is proud of the trailing edge by .010 and is flush at the first rivet. The other side is not perfect, but it isn't as noticeable. Would you fix it?

Considering that it can move depending on installation technique, it might deserve a little experimentation in that area. If you can not adjust via technique, then it will depend on how many offsets you want in your bird.

decisions decisions . . .

I fixed mine

I did a bit of sanding on my fairing, then laid up some more fiberglass on the inside. Now it sits nice and flush to the rudder skin.
IMG_2774-M.jpg

Yes yes yes

Fix it... I'd say that every time you see someone looking over your plane on a ramp somewhere you'll be a tiny bit bothered you didn't fix it during construction. Take the time to follow the preceding advice and fix it now.
Follow this philosophy for the entire build

Just my thoughts :)

Fixed

Thanks for the input guys.
Two of the most memorable comments that I took from the EAA sheet metal workshop where that you will "drill into your finger", and "you can build a really good tractor or a Swiss watch".
The previous fit would have been fine, but I tried Scott's suggestion of using heat and it got pretty close to watch quality.
Haven't drilled my finger yet, but I am only 6 months into it.

2ce2i9t.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!!!

I plan to make my 12 a 'Timex'. That'll be good enough for me - and at me skill level, probably about as well as I can do anyway. I will take my time and repair/replace anything that I can't stomach looking at very time I do a pre-flight. Your repair looks good enough to me. Carry on.:cool:

Upside down pictures

I am using an iPad and the pictures look right to me. Maybe I have it upside down?

11b6iif.jpg

Tried this one upside down and still looks correct on my end.

Last edited:
Back