What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oops

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
First flight of my F1 EVO Rocket occurred on Saturday.

Rocket%20Pic%20resized%20(800x549).jpg

De-cowled afterwards, found a couple minor rub spots and did a little surgery to the baffles.

Second flight yesterday and de-cowled again. While checking bolts etc. I looked at this:

Cable%20Clamp.jpg

This is a cable clamp and I have 3 of them, one each on the engine side of the throttle, mixture, and prop control cables. When I looked at it yesterday for some reason the thought went through my mind that the locking tab had swung out of place. Looking closer it was obvious that it was still as it should be, locking the cable in place. However the next thought was: IT COULD COME UNDONE, WHY ISN"T IT SAFETY WIRED??

I installed these, did my own final inspection on the airplane, the guvmint inspector (MDRA) inspected the airplane, the local mechanic on the field inspected the airplane, and I inspected FWF again myself after the first flight, and none of this picked up on the fact that these control cable clamps were not safety wired!

I was really surprised. There is even a handy little hole just above the tab for the safety wire. Just goes to show you can't have too many inspections.

Holy **** Mark, how fast was it going in that first picture when it was on the ground? Wow! Nice looking plane.

inspect, inspect inspect..... then repeat.
The FAA does not attend funerals.
Our spouses do...

First flight of my F1 EVO Rocket occurred on Saturday.

Rocket%20Pic%20resized%20(800x549).jpg

De-cowled afterwards, found a couple minor rub spots and did a little surgery to the baffles.

Second flight yesterday and de-cowled again. While checking bolts etc. I looked at this:

Cable%20Clamp.jpg

This is a cable clamp and I have 3 of them, one each on the engine side of the throttle, mixture, and prop control cables. When I looked at it yesterday for some reason the thought went through my mind that the locking tab had swung out of place. Looking closer it was obvious that it was still as it should be, locking the cable in place. However the next thought was: IT COULD COME UNDONE, WHY ISN"T IT SAFETY WIRED??

I installed these, did my own final inspection on the airplane, the guvmint inspector (MDRA) inspected the airplane, the local mechanic on the field inspected the airplane, and I inspected FWF again myself after the first flight, and none of this picked up on the fact that these control cable clamps were not safety wired!

I was really surprised. There is even a handy little hole just above the tab for the safety wire. Just goes to show you can't have too many inspections.

How did I miss this! Congratulations and welcome to the club. You have an open invitation to visit me at CYYJ. We can discuss paint schemes.

As for safety wire, good catch. I had a similar epiphany with the ram air control arm on my HRII. As supplied, it could loosen due to the torque supplied by the control cable. I drilled the pivot and installed a castellated nut and cotter pin.

Since the HR-II has no instructions, the whole aircraft was full of issues like this that required a great deal of attention to detail.

Cheers!

congrats.....and nice catch!

Looks like I procrastinated my visit to your shop just a wee bit too long!
....good to hear you've flown the coop!

thanks for the tip Mark; my annual next month will now include me with wire in hand, going over the airframe doing the 'why ...or why not' drill.

are you taking a break to go to Langley?

Yikes!

Glad you caught it and have shared to remind the builders of what we face.

Many of us will be in the same situation (soon hopefully), inspection-wise, so what is the corrective action to catch more of these things? Is there a "must check" check list for our little birds that each person who "inspects" uses to ensure safety?

I would certainly welcome a first flight check list, and was even thinking of making one.

Last edited:
Thanks Vern, same invitation is extended if you ever get to CZAM.

Perry, not going to make it to Langley. BTW, I saw in another thread you are using Exxon Elite 20/50. I have 3 or 4 quarts you can have if you ever get up this way. Switched to Shell as that is what is available here on the field.

BillL, I had thought I had checked everything - the F1 Rocket manual has a checklist in the back that covers many things as well. I think the best thing is to have as many critical eyes on it as you can, but........

I have ~9 hours on it now and it is working good. I had some trouble with the landings early on but got it sorted out by slowing the approach, was just coming in too hot and carrying too much speed in the flare.

Back