What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolled! And a stand question

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
What a good day. Have a family friend who is in high school, very into engineering, and I introduced him to flying a few years back. He has also been steadily helping with my build, and today we rolled the fuselage. I have since moved it from the sawhorse to a stand about 12" high, that supports it underneath the spar carry-through, and is nicely padded, in addition to a tail support. This seems to be as much support as most others have done; is there any need to add a third support, say underneath the F705 bulkhead? I worry about unnecessary stress on the structure when crawling around in the fuselage, but I'm probably way underestimating the strength of this thing. Thanks!

Chris

33uzih5.jpg

That's all I did, and it was just fine. You may end up wanting a shorter support under the spar carry-through. It'll make it much easier to reach into the fuselage if it's lower to the ground.

I had a platform built from 2 x 4s and plywood on casters so it was about 8 inches tall. Allowed easy moving in the shop.

I recommend that you flip it back over soon. It remains easier to sit in a chair under the fuselage rather than climbing in and out of it.

Looking good Chris, my slow build fuselage kit gets here next week, I need to plan a visit.

I made a simple stand for it so I could move it around the shop as needed. Keep in mind, that with the engine installed, the wheels will not support it. Maybe adding another set of wheels would help with that.

Here's a link.

i welded up a rotisary for my 7, a lot better for working on the inside, brake lines ect.

Back