What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hotel room RV Construction...Dedication!

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Traveling for work doing flight testing for a couple days. Decided to pack some parts for the trip. Deburred and dimpled all tank ribs, and stiffeners. A couple other parts too. Laid down a drop cloth to catch metal chips. Worked great!
6ixhud.jpg

Gregg

I did that many times during construction! The co-pilot always looked at me with mild concern when I said I was going to stay in my hotel room and do a little de-burring.:D

Debur

That's brilliant. One of the most tedious and time consuming tasks in the wing. Good idea.

I'm sure a couple metal shavings left behind is nothing compared to what those cleaning ladies encounter! :D

What Hotel Chain Do You Normall Frequent?

During my build, aluminum chips invariably found their way from the basement or garage into our living space. This was in spite of regular sweeping and vacuuming and shoe removal. Once in carpeting, they are nearly impossible to remove and always seem to find the bottom of bare feet. A few errant chips in a hotel room could easily cause them to trash the carpeting in the entire suite. Not to mention the possibility of chips in the bed coverings. Ouch.
I remember the lease on my first apartment over 40 years ago. It specifically forbade bringing motorcycles indoors and doing mechanical work and oil changes. It was obviously there because someone had done it before.
I guess I'd ask myself if this was something I'd do as a guest in someone else's home - even with a drop-cloth. Just say'in.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Compared to other stuff...

I'll take the aluminum over ALL of the other things I could think of - I've seen one too many CSI episodes...

Funk

I'll take the aluminum over ALL of the other things I could think of - I've seen one too many CSI episodes...

Ewww. TMI. Don't tell us. I stay in hotel rooms.
Back in the day riding motorcycles I stayed in a few of those flea bag rooms. Eewww. :eek:

Always the naysayers...

During my build, aluminum chips invariably found their way from the basement or garage into our living space. This was in spite of regular sweeping and vacuuming and shoe removal. Once in carpeting, they are nearly impossible to remove and always seem to find the bottom of bare feet. A few errant chips in a hotel room could easily cause them to trash the carpeting in the entire suite. Not to mention the possibility of chips in the bed coverings. Ouch.
I remember the lease on my first apartment over 40 years ago. It specifically forbade bringing motorcycles indoors and doing mechanical work and oil changes. It was obviously there because someone had done it before.
I guess I'd ask myself if this was something I'd do as a guest in someone else's home - even with a drop-cloth. Just say'in.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Perhaps a bit dramatic - "trash the carpeting in the entire suite"?
I can assure you, that I took precautions necessary to not make a mess. I'll bet you 100$ that you cannot find a SINGLE metal flake anywhere in the room.

Anyway, it was a great use of time, vice sitting there watching the tube and drinking a beer.... Oh, Wait, I WAS doing that at the same time. :)

Perhaps a bit dramatic - "trash the carpeting in the entire suite"?
I can assure you, that I took precautions necessary to not make a mess. I'll bet you 100$ that you cannot find a SINGLE metal flake anywhere in the room.

Anyway, it was a great use of time, vice sitting there watching the tube and drinking a beer.... Oh, Wait, I WAS doing that at the same time. :)
Gotta love it!!!

I brought some pieces to work to deburr, dimple, etc. during lunch back in the day. But that was NOT done on carpet or while intoxicated! ;)

Last edited:
Back