What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward fuselage rib modification

sahrens

Well Known Member
I am going to install Dynon Skyview in my RV-7 tip-up at some point in the future. I printed the Dynon images of a 10" and 7" screens to determine which screen I will use and its placement on the panel. It seems the left forward fuselage rib that runs from the firewall, through the sub-panel to the instrument panel is right in the way of the monitor placement. This means I will have to modify / move that rib.

I am just starting the canopy frame and the sub-panel is clecoed in place, so now is a good time to make the modification while I can easily take the sub-panel apart.

I have seen many RV-7s with 10" screens so folks have been down this road before me. If you have done this modification I would really appreciate seeing some images of your work. This is not an issue for aircraft with sliders due to the difference in the forward fuselage rib.

Thanks in advance.

IMAGE_1.jpeg

IMAGE_2.jpeg

IMAGE_3.jpeg

IMAGE_4.jpeg

IMAGE_5.jpeg

IMAGE_6.jpeg

IMAGE_7.jpeg

Hope these pics help ya Scott. PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Just cut them off like this.
IMG_3696-M.jpg

Then move them inward as needed. I think I moved mine in about 5" on each side.
IMG_3928-M.jpg

I have just the one 10" display on the panel, but room for expansion on the other side if/when budget and desire/need come into play later.
IMG_4666-M.jpg

Just note that the subpanel is not flat. There is a bit of a backward bend on the subpanel. When you make the angle pieces to tie into the subpanel for the panel ribs that are cut off, you need to make them follow the bend.

Another Option

I did not want to lose the stiffness of the sub-panel with these ribs missing. The instrument panel provides additional support through the ribs.

I took this approach and with the end boxed in and a very stiff adapter to the panel, it became very rigid.

I can not help my self, my engineering training in structures would not allow me to change this design.:(

IMG_0965.JPG

Last edited:
Nice one, Mr. Lane!

With the EFIS screens coming with Dolby nowadays, they are probably too big to do what I did with the early GRT units.

Here's my solution. Tip-up. Wanted to maintain the stiffness/support at the hinge bracket after talkin' to Van about it at SnF.

Plain ol' stereo, non-dolby

Love this place

Post a question and in a few hours you get great responses. Thank you all for the great photos and links.

Scott

This has come up before

Scott,
Though I am not as far along as you are, I was thinking ahead about the panel layout, and fabricating some of those many small hand-crafted parts around the panel, and noticed the same problem. Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would check for an old one, and sure enough there is one. You might check it out, as I recall there were some other pretty good solutions too.

Back